New Ring main help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve just run a new ring main for my kitchen, there are nine double 13amp sockets,when i made it live it was all ok and didnt trip out, but the second i plug ANYthing in it trips. Is due to a short or the MCB is to small in amps??

Sponsored Links
And is it the same appliance you are plugging in each time?

What size is the MCB? And do the appliances work when plugged in elsewhere?

Is there lots of damp plaster around?

securespark, the poster said but the second i plug ANYthing in it trips so i should say a variety of items have been tried. my guess is n + E reversal

which is why i figure the rcd is tripping

Sponsored Links
He also said "new ring main", so if it's a split-load board the neutrals could be going to the wrong side...

It's over to PutUmUp, The only Red Indian kitchen fitter in the UK!! No offence....

breezer said:
is it the rcd that trips?
It is the RCD that trips, i've disconnected every thing, and started again from start, adding on socket at a time, but no change . so i connect the ring to a socket that i know is fine ((in another room via a extension,so i could see if there was a problem with wiring i had ran) and everything works fine, the second i reconnect to the MCB the RCD trips when i switch a device on. I have checked and double check the cables are to the right terminals, and that there is no shorts, it trips even when i created a radial with one socket on the end. thanx for all the help.

damp on the brain!! :) My bet is that he connected the neutral to the wrong block in the CU. N/E reversal seems less likely.

I said it first. Baggsy the prize if it's right. Feet-shuffling and spreading the blame if it's not....

Actuellement, I was called out to a new-build at 3 am one morning to find a dejected young woman (Wa-hey!!) whose RCD had tripped. Spent hours trying to trace how, why, where and when. Failed miserably.

Turned out the walls were a smidge damp and this was having funny effects on the rcd. That's Wylex for you.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back