Ring main wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There
Can somone tell me.I have two ring circuits one upstairs and one downstairs (sockets).
But today we have so many appliances in kitchen,washer,dryer.dishwasher etc etc etc. I was thinking it would be a good idea to ring the kitchen. (plus its something i enjoy doing)
Just something i cannot get my head around,hope this is not a stupid question.
Does a 32amp mcb trip when its loaded with 32amp
We switch on the following
3000 watt tumbler dryer = 13amp
3000 watt kettle = 13.0 amp
then we plug in the 2200 watt iron =9.5 amp
Does this trip the mcb?

Sponsored Links
Do you know about part p? (search this forum if not - legal stuff you need to know)

The iron and tumble dryer operate on thermostats, so cycle on and off. A 32 amp MCB can take more than 32A for a certain time, and may even run at a couple of amps more forever.

If this combination of appliances currently resides in your home, why not try it? Suggest you dont do it for too long though, its not a good idea to run a circuit at capacity for too long if you dont know the condition of the wiring.

No, circuit breakers are designed to have some tolerance, much the same as cables do, taking a type B breaker as an example, it'll not trip if you load it at 1.13 the rated capacity, for a 32A device this this 36A, but will trip in under an hour at 1.45 the rated capacity, which on a 32A device is 46A, at 160A though, the circuit will be opened in under a tenth of a second :)

Breakers have teo parts, thermal and magnetic, the thermal deals with smaller sustained overloads, and the magnetic deals with high overloads and direct shorts

No.
The fuse rating is the design (running current) not the fusing current.
If all 32A mcb`s tripped when exceeded slightly then we would all have problems.
Small overloads of short duration are allowed.
Large overloads of long duration are not.
In fact the most dangerous situation are (relatively) small overloads of long duration (these can damage cables).
Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Just something i cannot get my head around,hope this is not a stupid question.
Does a 32amp mcb trip when its loaded with 32amp
We switch on the following
3000 watt tumbler dryer = 13amp
3000 watt kettle = 13.0 amp
then we plug in the 2200 watt iron =9.5 amp
Does this trip the mcb?
  • Why not give it a whirl and see!

Adam_151 said:
No, circuit breakers are designed to have some tolerance, much the same as cables do, taking a type B breaker as an example, it'll not trip if you load it at 1.13 the rated capacity, for a 32A device this this 36A, but will trip in under an hour at 1.45 the rated capacity, which on a 32A device is 46A, at 160A though, the circuit will be opened in under a tenth of a second :)

Breakers have teo parts, thermal and magnetic, the thermal deals with smaller sustained overloads, and the magnetic deals with high overloads and direct shorts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back