New roof but still leaks

Sponsored Links
OP,
Feel under the overhang edge of the coping stones for a channel or drip grove.
If the copings have been correctly manufactured the groove will not allow water to run back into the structure.
Sometimes the channels have to be opened up a little.

Sponsored Links
Says the man who gunk's tiles up with sealant when it's quicker , cheaper and easier to swap a Redland stonewold over on the bottom course duh !
And then encourages people to squirt it here there and everywhere just because you don't know any better.
If you don't know then don't advise.
The right advice has already been given by more than one other .
People like you should not be allowed to buy a mastic gun.

Says the man who gunk's tiles up with sealant when it's quicker , cheaper and easier to swap a Redland stonewold over on the bottom course duh !
Nothing is cheaper and faster to "gunk" it up. 5 minutes and £6.50. Shopping 20 minutes.

What, you don't need to chase out the fault line with a grinder first? No Nonsense No More Forever White Nails will just stick to years of accumulated moss and slime and look neat too?

The OP offered to provide further pics. After doing the tarp experiment remove the coping stones above the areas now leaking and show pictures of what's there, and of the drip groove of the removing coping stone.

Blup

stonewold £2.00- 3 minutes.. I better you went indoors and told your mrs how clever you were Mwhaaaa
OK, you win. Come do my roof repair for £4. You make 100% profit. My tiles are marley and red - looks grey only to the non-expert jobbers. So, be sure you use the right stuff, none of that cheap rubbish, and offer 10 years no leak guarantee.

Thanks all. Wasn't able to get up there this weekend. But we've got a couple of days good weather then some rain. So Before that rain comes here's my check list:

- Check for blown render both sides
- Check clip arond the vent
- Check the width of overhang (i'll take pics)
- Check the drain channel on overhang (pics)
- Check integrity of overhang make sure no bridging of water
- Check for cracks in the mortar between copings
- Fix a tarp over copings to see if that stops leak

Let me know if there's anything else i should check.

There are some roofers starting 2 houses down so I also plan to ask them their advice.

No thanks , the tiles are covered on crud , obviously some bodger been up there before , the flashings are wrong too..

No thanks , the tiles are covered on crud , obviously some bodger been up there before , the flashings are wrong too..
Wrong. The only bodger who's been up there is the so called pro roofer used by the house builder. He deliberately cut a hole in the end tile to leak into the soffit. After 30 years, it's finally fixed, by me.

Hole.. looks like a damaged channel , probably caused by some diy nut far ting around with his gutter

Hole.. looks like a damaged channel , probably caused by some diy nut far ting around with his gutter
You continue to be wrong. Both channels were cut just enough to feed into the soffit. This is how we can tell it's a "pro" job. As often the case, pro's fail. Because the soffit survived and soon to be looking like brand new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back