New roof is sagging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of buying a new build redeveloped flat, problem is the roof is sagging and it was only just put in this year. All three properties have new roofs but only the middle one is visibly sagging. I also looked on Google maps history and the older roof had slight sagging but nothing like the new one. I will have the 1st floor and there is a loft flat above me.

I sent an email to the estate agent to contact the developer.

- They have said it has all been built to current building regulations and will come with a professional consultant certificate and signed off by building control.

- They said they did not get permission to replace the roof structure from the structural engineers to retain the period features, but were asked to double up timbers and replace where necessary.

- They have said there is sag but it doesn't compromise the structure.

- I should add they said they won't answer any more questions as it isn't complete yet.

Is this bull? Photo provided of the flat from the outside, also two pictures they sent me of the construction phase of the roof.

I'm already at conveyancing stage and the mortgage is applied for, so will eventually have to ask for the appropriate assurances, what what guarantee it as okay? Or should I walk away?

So far all the advice I've gotten online has been to walk away as it is a hack job and I would probably be liable to replace it in the future.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Damn, it's that bad is it? Is there no conceivable way that this is okay or workable on any way? In which case how would the roof get signed off as okay if that's the case?

Sponsored Links
Ask yourself this, if someone was already living there and you looked at it with a view to buying it, would you go ahead with the purchase, even if you were told it was structurally safe?

Can't believe its started sagging as they built it but would imagine the supporting structure has sagged over the years due to different buiding regs that were in force (if indeed any) and all they have done is ran with the existing structure (i.e. sagging ridge board), retiled and complied with current regs by replacing/strengthening rafters as necessary. As said it will all be signed off and so its a case of whether you find it aesthetically acceptable or not. They must have decided putting a new ridge board in was more hassle than it was worth. Even if you don't buy it someone will.

Ask yourself this, if someone was already living there and you looked at it with a view to buying it, would you go ahead with the purchase, even if you were told it was structurally safe?
Edit: Scrub that. Just re-read your post. You are not having the loft, that’s someone else’s so that’s their problem unless you could be asked to chip in for any repairs as part of your lease.

Is the roof structurally sound despite the sagging? As I mentioned beforehand the sagging is much worse with the new roof, velux windows also were put in etc..

I think everyone would be liable for repairs as it would come under one management company.

Last edited:
Damn, it's that bad is it? Is there no conceivable way that this is okay or workable on any way? In which case how would the roof get signed off as okay if that's the case?
Modern buildings have all sorts of fancy concave or convex roofs (albeit not generally in the housing sector) which have been designed as such so its well within the bounds of possibility that the designers can show compliance with the appropriate building regs (rafter size, span, etc.etc.) even if the end picture doesn't fall into our normal expectation of straight lines and square corners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back