Rough cost to fix sagging roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I own an Edwardian end terrace house that’s roof has a small sag in the middle. Also, the flashings around the chimney have come loose. Just wondering (roughly) how much this could cost to fix? We’ve had a quote from a builder of £10k as they think the rafters are undersized to support the roof so we need all new rafters and roof. Please see attached photos of chimney, outside of roof and inside of eaves where sag is.

Attachments

• IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8183.jpeg
    IMG_8183.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I own an Edwardian end terrace house that’s roof has a small sag in the middle. Also, the flashings around the chimney have come loose. Just wondering (roughly) how much this could cost to fix? We’ve had a quote from a builder of £10k as they think the rafters are undersized to support the roof so we need all new rafters and roof. Please see attached photos of chimney, outside of roof and inside of eaves where sag is.

Attachments

• IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8183.jpeg
    IMG_8183.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 55
10k seems a reasonable price for a new roof.
However, do you really need a new one?
At 100 years old, I'm sure you would be a little saggy too! ;)

The roof has nothing to worry about in terms of sag and as it will still have the original roof slates on it has been designed and built for that loading. Sounds like the builder is hoping to pick up a nice little earner and in my opinion it aint that bad. The leadwork could need replacing or repairing if it is leaking in but i would advise getting at least 3 quotes for the work to compare.

Sponsored Links
they think the rafters are undersized to support the roof so we need all new rafters and roof.

Your house was built with a light slate roof.

Many ignorant buffoons like to load heavy concrete tiles onto old houses, which overload them. Don't do that.

Some people remove old genuine slates and sell on the good ones.

Genuine slates are expensive but you can get modern synthetic slates which are a reasonable replacements.

Your old iron nails may have rusted away by now. I am in a coastal region where more expensive copper nails were used due to salt spray, they do not rust. Stainless nails are used here now

Thanks for the responses. The builder said he thinks the roof is original so it did confuse me when he said the rafters are undersized. I will get more quotes.

Rafters could be propped internally if concerned. If you don't use it and are having a scaffold up I would get rid of that stack - is it leaning a bit?.

Rafters could be propped internally if concerned. If you don't use it and are having a scaffold up I would get rid of that stack - is it leaning a bit?.
Yes it is leaning a bit and we don’t use it.

I'm quite in favour of removing unused stacks and extending the roof over the hole.

It will reduce future leaks and maintenance costs permanently. You can leave the flues open in the loft (don't allow the builder to throw rubble down them) which will keep them dry. IME you will occasionally lose torches and small tools that fall inside.

Looks like you also have a leak where the batton has broken.

The rafters do look undersized by today's standards. I don't see any purlin ?
You could just prop it as it is..
The slate is a decent slate , they will outlast and alternative if relaid by a skilled person

The rafters do look undersized by today's standards. I don't see any purlin ?
You could just prop it as it is..
The slate is a decent slate , they will outlast and alternative if relaid by a skilled person
The purlin is opposite the rafters. So does 10k sound reasonable then? Struggling to get hold of any other roofers

Never let any builder or roofer or anyone recommend improvements or alterations that they will then charge you handsomely to do the very work they recommend.

If you think the timbers are inadequate then a structural engineer is the person to confirm and advise, not a builder or roofer. Old roofs sag for various reasons, and it's not necessarily an issue.

Building regulations will apply for altering the timbers and for insulation. Make sure that any firm quoting actually mentions this, and for both things.

Timbers being undersized by today's standards is not any indication of a defect. That whole terrace, street, city will have the same sized timbers supporting the same type of roof. Past timber was stronger than today's timber of the same size.

You would be a fool to instruct work based on one quote from one firm that is recommending such significant additional work.

You should also either specify the work yourself, or get a fully itemised fixed quotes so that they can be compared.
Lead or imitation lead?
200 or 500mm of insulation, and what type? What size timbers?
What type of tiles and underlay?
Dry or wet verge and ridge?
Ventilation?
Will the tiles come with the manufacturer's mult-year warranty?
Who's dealing with the building inspector?

I'd say careful who you choose. You could end up paying a lot to someone to write a load of useless twaddle .that could just as easily been said in a couple of lines .
We see it often

Correct! Just look for an experienced slater who should address the sag as part of the job.
Forget the moron who is telling you the roof isn't up to the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back