Water on sagging roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can anybody help me out, I have a flat roof on my garage that has had 3 layers of felt torched onto it and painted silver, the only problem is the joists have sagged and the roof now holds water. This is not a problem but I'm thinking can I fit some kind of drain in the centre of the big puddle to drain the water off as i'm just concerned about the weight of the water sagging the joists some more. Is there such a fitting that I could install in the centre of the roof to still keep a good seal but drain the water off.

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
But it can be done?
can you give me a link to any recomendations for the fitting to use.

Cheers

But it can be done?
can you give me a link to any recomendations for the fitting to use.

Cheers
Right here goes but like i say bit of a botch job and not some thing i would undertake but it would remove the puddle from your roof.You could get a hopper head.Cut a hole into your roof(through boards/felt) at the lowest point in the dip.Fix your hopper head to a joist.Fit a lenght of down pipe(including off set bends) to you hopper.You would then need to cut a hole using a core drill through your garage wall for you down pipe to go through and route into the drain(Route down pipe along a joist,then through hole in wall,then into existing dwonpipe).Felt into your hopper head.Off course you laps are going to be on top of the sheets of the felt and not underneath so because of this apply acrypol around the seams on the felt you just layed.To get it so you have less of a ridge before felting cut 2 layers of your ply wood away with a stanley knife and chisel out so the ridge on your felt will not be so proud.Thats how it could be done.As for links?there will be none as this is not a common job BUT it could be done if you so desired.If you decide to do this and would like a full set of instructions drop me an email,my addy is on my profile. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hopper Head :eek: My M8 has a couple of roof outlets that join to plastic pipe in his shed :idea: been lying there for years - you`d have to cut away the felt/wood etc and indeed bodge with acropolis or whatever , but you`d be able to get a watertite pipe seal inside the garage . You might just find some listed on a Certain e-auction site soon ;)

Hopper Head :eek: My M8 has a couple of roof outlets that join to plastic pipe in his shed :idea: been lying there for years - you`d have to cut away the felt/wood etc and indeed bodge with acropolis or whatever , but you`d be able to get a watertite pipe seal inside the garage . You might just find some listed on a Certain e-auction site soon ;)
""My first words regarding this reply-Right here goes but like i say bit of a botch job ""Advised an easy cheap/practical way for DIYer to sort a problem.In an ideal world the roof would be stripped,joists either reset or replaced(depending) if need be furings fitted, 18 mm ply,2 layer t/o h/p sbs fitted,cap sheet being mineral finish.I wasnt even gona suggest anything but the original post was up for 2 days with no reply so i thought someone should at least suggest something ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back