new roof leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having loft converted into bedrooms.I contracted work out to my local builder.All work included new dormer bed rooms,roof felted and re slated an 3 wylux windows.I n our loft we had bit of chimney left,rest was all taken out.On building control advice we took remaing chimney out and tyed in bricks back in to neighbours side.Builder did use lead flashing but do not know how.In last few days when we had heavy rain,water leak appeared on three places.
leak one around new dormer .Clading is used.Dormer is very long and joining strip is used because profile shape of clading water was creeping in and apearing inside.builder sealed all joints around window ,most seemed ok except between window and sill where water is still comming inside.
Leak two apears close to the botom of sky light.Builder has been on roof with silicon other day but still wet patch apeard when it rained yeterday.
Leak three which is most worrying which apeard right bellow the dormer bed room where chimney is taken out.In dormer bed room dot and dabing is used .water creeps behind it and apears in first floor bed ceiling.Because buildes are still working at my house,he has been on roof first time after heavy rain,says sealed some lead joints and should be ok.Very same day we had heavy rain again and water leak again.Today he was up on the roof again with silicon gun.My main concern is that they have not done lead flashing around chimney skylight properly and now they are trying to use silicone to solve the problem.If it does not rain next two weeks,they be gone and i would not know if leak is still there.

Sponsored Links
"My main concern is that they have not done lead flashing around chimney skylight properly and now they are trying to use silicone to solve the problem.If it does not rain next two weeks,they be gone and i would not know if leak is still there."

So test with a hosepipe.

Silicone is not a good way of mending a leaking roof. You may do better consulting a proper roofer who knows how to do it. Have you fully paid the builder yet?

You are right in saying that builder did not do flashing around properly.Since he has been on roof with silicone leak has almost stopped.To me it was lead flashing.he has used silicone around chimney and sky light so it has stopped leak for awile.Silicone ca come loose any time and same problem could appear again.Builder is saying it is not flashing,there were a crack on top ,which he is lying.Cement bed on top is new and put on there on them.What should i do .They still has 3 weeks work to do yet and final payment of 5000 pounds is remaining.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
"My main concern is that they have not done lead flashing around chimney skylight properly and now they are trying to use silicone to solve the problem.If it does not rain next two weeks,they be gone and i would not know if leak is still there."

So test with a hosepipe.

Silicone is not a good way of mending a leaking roof. You may do better consulting a proper roofer who knows how to do it. Have you fully paid the builder yet?
You are right in saying that builder did not do flashing around properly.Since he has been on roof with silicone leak has almost stopped.To me it was lead flashing.he has used silicone around chimney and sky light so it has stopped leak for awile.Silicone ca come loose any time and same problem could appear again.Builder is saying it is not flashing,there were a crack on top ,which he is lying.Cement bed on top is new and put on there on them.What should i do .They still has 3 weeks work to do yet and final payment of 5000 pounds is remaining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back