New roof looks a bit dodgy??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a dormer installed. During the works the builder said my roof slates were delanimating and that I need a new roof. I agreed (I knew it was end of life) and they stripped my roof, applied a lining and battens. They came earlier today to start applying the new roof tiles.

I was out when they were doing the work earlier today, but when I returned I saw their work and it looks really bad to me.

The tiles appear to be laid poorly with variable spacing and tiles are kicking up around the velux and chimney. They haven't redone the flashing, and there appear to be a large gap between my roof and my neighbour.

Does this roof look OK? Similar work has been done to other roofs on the street and theirs look straight and tiles are all flat.

I haven't had chance to speak to anyone yet, I will have opportunity on Monday morning.

Do I need to get them to redo this? They don't appear to have done the ridge tiles so I suspect they haven't finished yet.

Attachments

• 1687025206170437604601575119365.jpg
    1687025206170437604601575119365.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 16870252827864151196189563854052.jpg
    16870252827864151196189563854052.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 16870253020466718849361028595499.jpg
    16870253020466718849361028595499.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 16870253302732771477908604638376.jpg
    16870253302732771477908604638376.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
I can only answer from a general builders point of view who's City & Guilds is in brickwork. I select slates so they sit flat, sometimes you have to cut the top two edges off. Lead can increase the joint under the slate. Between your neighbours, either tie the slates in or fit a fibreglass ridge valley, that current join in not acceptable because rain is landing on the felt and felt is not UV resistant and will perish way before the slates..

Apart from that, it looks neat enough. I always change the lead flashing, as well as the soakers. Did you ask them to?

I didnt explicitly ask them to replace the flashing, no. I guess I left it in the hands of the builder, I guess if it's OK there's no reason to replace it?

I went up the scaffold last night and when you're close up it's obvious that the tiles are kicking up and aren't fixed securely. I suspect that part of the roof isn't properly finished, although if I was doing a job (obviously I am no roofer) I would ensure that the slates were fixed properly as I went without going back afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback about the gaps between our roof and the neighbour. Good point about the UV, I will raise this and hopefully I can get them to fix this. Do you think it csn be fixed without stripping and relaying a large proportion of the tiles?

I have paid a small deposit (<15%) but haven't paid for the rest of the job.

It looks like they missed the copper rivets in the slates that have lifted, ask them to sort it.

Sponsored Links
I am getting a dormer installed. During the works the builder said my roof slates were delanimating and that I need a new roof. I agreed (I knew it was end of life) and they stripped my roof, applied a lining and battens. They came earlier today to start applying the new roof tiles.

I was out when they were doing the work earlier today, but when I returned I saw their work and it looks really bad to me.

The tiles appear to be laid poorly with variable spacing and tiles are kicking up around the velux and chimney. They haven't redone the flashing, and there appear to be a large gap between my roof and my neighbour.

Does this roof look OK? Similar work has been done to other roofs on the street and theirs look straight and tiles are all flat.

I haven't had chance to speak to anyone yet, I will have opportunity on Monday morning.

Do I need to get them to redo this? They don't appear to have done the ridge tiles so I suspect they haven't finished yet.
The lifting by the chimney is because the roof has settled over the years and the chimney hasn't and the fact that roof slates are wide units. It is difficult to get tiles to sit flat around a Velux, but they seemed to manage it one one Velux and not the other..?

Tile for every place , place for every tile . Applies more so to natural slate.
Grade the slate before you start . Remember where the twisted ones are for when you need one .
In this case , as it's cement fibre slate possibly Rivendale .
There is no excuse they can all sit snug

Funny, some bits are really neat, and then other bits let it down (like the trimming at the edge for the secret gutter just looks like they'd had 7 bottles of Weston's vintage before they cut it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back