New shower pump set up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am going to refit our main bathroom. Currently it has no shower and I will be installing a shower in the bath with one of those large 'rain' heads.

We have CWS tank in the loft about 20cm above joists (not sure of exact measurement). HWS tank is in airing cupboard on first floor almost directly below CWS. Bath is 3 metres away horizontally. I plan to fit a surrey / warix flange on the top of the HWS tank for dedicated hot supply to pump, new cold dedicated supply from CWS, both in 22mm. Pump to be on floor of airing cupboard.

The outlet pipes will also be in 22mm copper and will have to go up into the loft, across 3 metres, then down to the (probably thermostatic) mixer and up to the shower head. I also intend to connect one auto air vent such as http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97868 somewhere (where's best) in the loft run on the hot and cold to the mixer.

I am unsure of whether I need a negative pump because my pipe runs will be in the region of only 200mm below the CWS tank. If I bought a negative head pump, would it still work fine if it turned out that I had a positive head / enough flow? Stuart Turner suggest 100mm from bottom of CWS to highest point of pipe run is enough (0.6 l/m) for positive pump, but in reality is this cutting it fine?

Would something like this be OK in my situation regardless of whether I end up with positive or negative?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150435971407&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Many thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back