New Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I am installing a new shower. It is 10.5 kw and the instructions which came with the shower say I can protect with a 45amp MCB. I think I need a 50amp. What do you think. Also I have a proteus Centaur consumer unit rated at 100A, however I cannot get a 45/50A mcb for this unit (unless you tell me differently) so I am faced with adding :confused: a 50amp separate unit which is probably safer. My main concern is wiring the new unit from the main consumer unit, is there space on the live buss bar to wire the new unit directly to??

any help would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
the normal way of doing it is to use a a double pole henly block (or two single pole blocks) to split the tails

unfortunately in most cases doing that involves pulling out the service fuse which is not generally reccomended for diyers.

Pip007 said:
Hello All
I am installing a new shower. It is 10.5 kw and the instructions which came with the shower say I can protect with a 45amp MCB. I think I need a 50amp. What do you think.
I think they are right. Shower manufacturers invariably quote the power of their products at 240V - if you look at the small print you'll probably find a lower 230V figure.

10.5kW at 240V is 43.75A.

My main concern is wiring the new unit from the main consumer unit, is there space on the live buss bar to wire the new unit directly to??
There's no way you can do that.

Is your CU like a Wylex one? Does it have plug i fuse carriers? If so, GE make a 45A mcb to fit called mini-trip. Try sheds.

Sponsored Links
if you want a 45A breaker for a wylex standard board then wylex don't make them but GE make thier "minitrip" range which is designed for use in wylex standard consumer units and this does have a 45A unit.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/CircuitProtection/d190/sd2615

note that unlike with wylex plug in breakers you have to buy the base seperately.

Finally you are not meant to put breakers over 30A in a wylex standard CU that doesn't have a 100A incomer though many people do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back