9.5kw shower protected by 50amp MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a 9.5kw electric shower which recommends a 45amp fuse! My consumer unit is made by Contactum which only manufacture 40 or 50amp MCB's! I was told its best to go for the 50amp as the 40 would trip.... Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Please understand this:

The fuse in the fuseboard is there to protect the cable that is running to your shower. If the fuse is too big and a fault occurs then the cable may fail possible causing a fire.

you must not upgrade the fuse unless you know what you are doing.
Your cable may be too small to carry 50amps.
My advice is to get someone in who knows about the current carrying capacity of the cable that you have - they can then advise you.

TTC

The 40 amp is borderline depending on your supply voltage and what voltage rating that the 9.5kw is specified for.Saying that though a 40A type B mcb would take an age to operate at 41/42 amps.
For a 50 amp mcb you would need at least 10mm² (depending on install method/length of run) but this would enable you to install a larger shower in the future.

Edit:Too fast and better answer TTC ;)

Sponsored Links
That should be ok - but as TTC said the work should be carried out/checked by a qualified spark as you are changing the characteristics of the circuit, so testing needs to take place

And while you're at it, think about supp bonding, rcd's, whether your CU main switch, shower iso switch, meter & cut-out fuse can handle the load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back