50amp shower switch?

P

person

Just notice my 10.5kw shower is on a 50amp mcb and has a 45amp 2 gang wall switch, never had any problems with it but thought i'd change the switch to a 50 but can't find one anywhere that is not a pull cord? Does anybody know where I might find one?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cheers for replys guys. Could do with one without "cooker" on it though :D . Never thought they would be so hard to come by.

But is there any point in changing the switch? A 10.5kW shower is less than 45A...

But is there any point in changing the switch? A 10.5kW shower is less than 45A...

Hadn't actually done calculation myself but your right as 10500/240= 43.75 but i suppose if your classing your voltage as standard 230 then 10500/230=45.65...mmm not sure if I'm better to change it or not?

The 10.5kW rating will be at 240V though.

Because the shower is a simple resistive device, the power consumption will actually be 10.06kW at 230V.

I'm assuming that the shower manufacturer has used 240V to calculate the 10.5kW rating as it gets a bigger 'number' on the box. This may be wrong, but I think it's unlikely.

If the switch you already have is in good condition and the terminals are nice and tight, you won't have any problems.

I'm no expert, but I certainly wouldn't be changing it if it was mine!

The thng is if you read the box, the 10500w is at 240v not 230v so it is incorrect to divide 10500 by 230

Because the shower is a simple resistive device, the power consumption will actually be 10.06kW at 230V.
10.06 seems a little on the high side, I thought they are somwhere around 9.6kW @ 230v?

10.06 seems a little on the high side, I thought they are somwhere around 9.6kW @ 230v?

It's not guess work!

As it is a fixed resistive load....

(10500 / 240) * 230

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back