Shower help!

I did write something else prior to the ant, but it has been obliterated by the mods. Don't know why, it wasn't rude, just implied madness on my part. Maybe they thought that would upset mad people....

Sponsored Links
ATTENTION CONTROL: The reprogramming has not been entirely successful. We'll need to try a stronger setting.

Nurse.....

securespark said:
Ban/ M
If the main switch is less than 100A, it is not recommended to fit any circuits higher than 32A.

My main switch is only 63amps, but I was told my an electrician that it is fine to have a 50amp mcb for the shower as I would never have all my electrics on at once.

I am thinking of getting a whole new fuse box.. maybe an 100amp one. Can I buy any I like and get an electrician to fit it or will ony certain ones do for certain houses?

plugwash said:
i wouldn't put a 45A switch on a 50A breaker

it just smaks of bad practice particulallry if someone decieds to upgrade the shower sees the 50A breaker and assumes all is well

just go to an electrical wholesalers and ask for a 50A double pole wall mount isolator they will be able to supply it.

I spoke to an electrician and he said it would be fine :confused:

Sponsored Links
heatherw_01 said:
securespark said:
Ban/ M
If the main switch is less than 100A, it is not recommended to fit any circuits higher than 32A.

My main switch is only 63amps, but I was told my an electrician that it is fine to have a 50amp mcb for the shower as I would never have all my electrics on at once.
That's irrelevant. The issue is that the internals of CUs with 63A main switches are not beefy enough for 50A to go out on one single circuit.

I am thinking of getting a whole new fuse box.. maybe an 100amp one. Can I buy any I like and get an electrician to fit it or will ony certain ones do for certain houses?
Unless you have a TT supply, then there are no special requirements for the type of board, BUT you may have to have your main service fuse upgraded, as RECs don't like it if your board is rated at more than the incoming supply.

Probably best to let your electrician supply the unit - tell him you want a split-load one, with spare ways, and read some of the posts here about the pro's and con's of which circuits should go on which side.

If you ask him for a guarantee, that should stop him fobbing you off with some cheap rubbish.

Don't worry about markup - electricians have to earn a living, and if one prefers to make his money by a different ratio of markup:labour than another one that doesn't matter - all you should care about is the total in the bottom RH corner...

Any idea how much a decent 100amp fuse box would be supplied and fitted?

heatherw_01 said:
plugwash said:
i wouldn't put a 45A switch on a 50A breaker

it just smaks of bad practice particulallry if someone decieds to upgrade the shower sees the 50A breaker and assumes all is well

just go to an electrical wholesalers and ask for a 50A double pole wall mount isolator they will be able to supply it.

I spoke to an electrician and he said it would be fine :confused:
I think plugwash is being unnecessarily prescriptive. As long as the switch is rated for the current it will be switching, rather than the cable it's on that'll be fine. After all, we don't get agitated about 5A light switches on 10A 1.5mm lighting circuits...

heatherw_01 said:
Any idea how much a decent 100amp fuse box would be supplied and fitted?
Not I, but I expect the pro's will. In the low to mid 100's would be my guess, but that would be assuming no problems with the wiring come to light during the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back