New Sink fitted Waste Pipes Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

We have just fitted a new kitchen with a 1 1/2 Bowl Stainless Sink.

The old U Bend and waste outlet has been reused but the lad who installed it used a 1 1/2 bowl waste set from B&Q (Dark Grey).
I have connected a washing machine to the correct outlet on the B&Q section.

The problem is the whole thing is leaking and when the washing machine empties the waste bowl fills near to overflowing, all in all a pretty dire situation.

I have tried to tweak all the connections but after a while they leak I have even disconnected them and wrapped PTFE around the screw threads and also used Plumbmate silicon sealer, to no avail!!!!

The B&Q parts seem to be at fault, the plastic seems very hard and the black seals that they employ are pretty shoddy, there are no rubber seals where the washing machine waste is connected??

Anyone recommend a decent plumber - joking anyone recommend a replacement 1 1/2 waste set and tips on how to prevent leaks. As far as recall as long as the waste has rubber seals no other sealants should be required.

Ta

Sponsored Links
never had problem with mcalpine 1 1/2 bowl sets,get the lad that fitted sink back if i was you,only need rubber washers no sealant

Firstly, I have never known a newly installed sink waste to leak, if its fitted properly. The rubber seals should be more than adequate for their purpose, something is seriously wrong if you need to use anything further to try and seal it. Its possible you may have a dodgy waste kit, if its salvagable still, take it back to B & Q and get another, fit it exactly according to instructions.

Secondly, if the water is backing up into the sink then that indicates a blockage in the pipework, however without looking at the setup its difficult to tell. If the waste is that badly installed then anything is possible, a picture would help here.

the waste kits from B&Q are a nightmare, i have always said it is usually the way someone fits it that causes a leak, but recently have had the pleasure to change 2 sinks, both from B&Q and the grey kits are mince, very weak loose fitting washers and i ended up taping the joints with gas ptfe tape to seal them, as previously said McAlpine waste connections never require anything and hand tight is always enough to seal them all.

Sponsored Links
Here is the picture, the only thing not showing is the W/Machine Waste. It comes in from the upper left runs behind everything and is connected to the end cap at the end of the run that comes out of the 1/2 bowl just after it connects to the pipe joining the 1 1/2 bowls together.

I have had a look for a Mcalpine 1 1/2 bowl set here:
http://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/getPr...ory=355&attribute=1&fromSearch=&searchArea=-1

But it seems that it will not fit my bowls, one connector seems to low.
This is a HOWDENS supplied sink.

you can use the mcalpine 1 1/2 bowl kit but you'll need a few extra parts as well as your small bowl is right above the middle section of the cupboard.

As previously said ditch the B & Q junk & buy a bowl & a half McAlpine kit. Obviously it will need trimming to suit outlet height & centres as all sinks are different. Guaranteed trouble free once fitted. You won't need any extra parts, it's all there in the pack.
As youv'e now discovered B & Q stuff is mostly sub-standard or over priced. Can't understand why so many people use them :rolleyes:

You won't need any extra parts, it's all there in the pack.

is it now ?
so tell me on a 11/2 bowl kit the adjustable waste pipe (longest one)
is on the trap side.
he needs the longest one on the otherside, unless you intend to fit the trap
on the 1/2 bowl and hack away more of the side of the cupboard.
and its all going to tally up with the waste outlet.
think not.

i await your reply.
smiley_128.gif

Sorry, thought you mean't extra bits for the trap kit.
Obviously the inch & a half pipe set up below will need to be altered anyway to do away with that original trap set-up below, the pipe can be moved across to the other side of the new trap then ( the 1/2 bowl side).

Alternatively, retain the original trap & buy a hand full of solvent weld bits & some pipe & make your own branches, making sure you retain the compression elbow at the back so it can all be dismantled if need be in the future. That would be the cheapest way.

Sorry, thought you mean't extra bits for the trap kit.
fair enough.
Obviously the inch & a half pipe set up below will need to be altered anyway to do away with that original trap set-up below

do away with the lot its a mess.

the pipe can be moved across to the other side of the new trap then ( the 1/2 bowl side).
if your talking about the adjustable bit then no,
the trap side is compression the 1/2 bowl side is 1 1/2" bsp thread.

Alternatively, retain the original trap & buy a hand full of solvent weld bits & some pipe & make your own branches, making sure you retain the compression elbow at the back so it can all be dismantled if need be in the future. That would be the cheapest way.

poss but you could do that with the 1 1/2 bowl kit, extension, two elbows, piece of pipe.
gros10-1.gif

When assembling ANY waste connections, they won't seal unless the washered faces are EXACTLY true and square. don't try and 'spring' anything into place, that just pulls the joints out of alignment.

Taping the threads does nothing for the seals, it just makes the fittings more difficult to assemble and tighten.

Consider how the washing machine waste enters the manifold. There will be a pumped 'jet' of water from the machine. If it's pointing towards one of the other inlets, that's the way the water will flow, until there's enough water pushed up into the sink bowl to stop the inertia of the jet, and turn it around so it flows towards the outlet.

Another +1 for it being the B&Q fittings.

I had to get these as the sink I'd ordered wasn't sent with the traps and waste pipework I also ordered. It was delivered last thing on a Saturday before the merchant closed and I was putting the sink in on the Sunday.

I was left with no choice other than to go to B&Q. I finally got it all in with no leaks. A tip with the B&Q stuff is not to over-tighten the fittings as they seem to "pop" out of the thread if you do. I know over-tightening is a big no-no with any compression fitting, but these things need about 3/4 of the tightnening a "normal" fitting would!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back