New skirting after lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of redecorating a house, and I haven't decided whether I want to change the skirting boards yet, but do want to go ahead with hanging lining paper and painting.

As I understand it, it is preferable to put up any new skirting before lining paper, but is it a big deal if I hang the paper, paint it, and then decide on the skirting later?

If I did it later, would I trim the paper, or fix the board on top of the paper?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you do change the skirtings then consider going for a taller skirting. It will help to hide any damage.

What kind of walls do you have? Plasterboard or brick/plaster or lathe and plaster?

Thanks. Will definitely be going for higher skirting, if I do change it.

The walls are brick and, I think, it's just plasterboard on top (pic below)

F6uU7Qc.jpg

What of the biggest pains I've had decorating is paper behind skirting boards. Most are old so it's not happen too much, but when it has, painting/papering the walls down to the skirting created multiple extra jobs.

Cutting the paper from behind the top of the skirting, then extra caulking/filling, to create a neat edge that would have been halfway there if the paper weren't behind the skirting.

Do the skirting first, get them painted up and then paper, reduce the risk of getting gloss/satin on your paper.

Sponsored Links
What of the biggest pains I've had decorating is paper behind skirting boards.

Why would lining paper behind skirting be a problem? So long as it has been applied and painted properly, if someone wants to use wallpaper later, they can simply hang it over the lining paper. I can however see that embossed/blown or normal wallpaper can be a problem when the skirtings have been applied after.

Why would lining paper behind skirting be a problem? So long as it has been applied and painted properly, if someone wants to use wallpaper later, they can simply hang it over the lining paper. I can however see that embossed/blown or normal wallpaper can be a problem when the skirtings have been applied after.

It's not, I misread the lining part :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back