Wall paper/ Lining paper edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - (my first post eek!)

I am struggling getting a good edge against my coving and skirting board with my lining paper. I am hanging it vertically as I intend to paint over it.

I put up 3 test sheets last night and ended up pulling them down again an hour later. I was not happy with the cuts I had made against the coving and skirting board. In places they ended up not that straight and in places short of the coving/skirting! I used a craft knife and it snags on the paper leaving a rough edge which is really annoying. I also tried one of those pizza cutter style things - but that ends up going all over the place.

Help!!!!

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem but at my diy nightclass the teacher advised us to crease it to the edge then pull it back from the wall (while still wet) and cut along the crease using scissors. Make sure you ahve really good, big scissors though. you can usually glide through

Try and cut it as neat as you can, when paper is dry, get some decorators caulk/filler, it comes in a tube and you need a gun to use it.

Go along the tops and bottoms as neat as you can, this will give the paper a nice finish,and tidy up the uneven cuts, paint when completely dry. :D

Run the edge of the scissors or a stripping knife along it pull back and cut along the crease...or use a straight edge pressed agasint the wall/ceilng line and trim with a sharp knife...preferably one which snap off blades.

Keep the angle of the knife as hallow as possible...the nearer 90 degrees it is to the wall the more chance you have of snagging/ripping it

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the help.

Just put 5 strips up and they look great. I ran the back of the scissors along the edge then peeled it back and cut the edge. Worked a treat.

Think I might caulk over the edges just to make it look perfect

Dont hump the caulk on too heavy...youl end up rounding the corner off and creating a curve which is tricky to cut in to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back