wallpaper cutting conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having painfully learnt how to wall paper from scratch this year i am now looking upon each finished room with praise, however in the rooms i have plaster coving which is not 100% straight or for that matter the walls are not straight either understandably so, my question is i have an electric wallpaper cutter which cuts paper great by the skirting board ,but used by the coving it is poor beacuse of the way the coving is laid.
I have had to cut the paper with decorators scissors with the paper just covering the bottom of the coving 2mm or so,but this is hit and miss .
Seems a simple quesion but is there a proffessional way of getting a clean constant wallpaper cut against the coving so that it looks smart and not amateurish and shoddy when you look up close to it? Should the wallpaper be papered under the coving or should it cover the bottom of it just slightly 2mm or so.?

Cheers chops

Sponsored Links
Electric wallpaper cutter, blimey I am getting old! I would suggest the old fashioned technique, lightly score the paper with the back of the scissors, peel back, then trim along the scored line. Usually results in less than 2 mm out.

I picked up a tip from a decorator some years ago.

Use a 3" paper scraper and a snape off blade stanley knife. Push the scraper tight into the corner at a angle, then cut the paper above, just keep repositioning the scraper along the full width, it really is a very quick method and because the scraper is only 3" it takes out most of the variations in straightness.

Sponsored Links
I use a harris edging tool see, www.axminster.co.uk part no 029005

I have never seen these in the usual sheds. I also cut one in two 1/3-2/3 for window cills, small windows etc.

They are very quick and easy to use, a really good buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back