Polystyrene coving - should i contemplate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 46 linear metres of coving to install in a couple of new rooms.

rooms are plasterboard lined, professionally taped and filled and ready for decorating.

I was looking at proper plaster coving - various profiles, and came across the polystyrene coving. Not the plain polystyrene, but the paper covered polystyrene.

from a decoration point of view, decorating paper covered polystyrene coving will be exactly the same as decorating paper covered plaster coving.

So, as it will be cheaper and easier to install, am I a daft b*gger?

Ultimately, I would prefer to do it 'properly' but if the finished article looks identical....

thoughts / experiences?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ive used most types of coving and always prefer the 100% plaster board stuff. I find it very easy to fit and looks better up the poly stuff. You get what you pay for in the long run. If you decide to fit plasterboard stuff then by a decent mitre for the corners and external edges, or if its your first time you can even by the pre cut corners. I use dot and dab mix to fit it as its cheaper then coving adhesive. Cheers.

thanks

i'll have another look at what is available.

even though it is my first time, i am comfortable doing mitred corners.

I would prefer to spend a bit of time getting that right, rather than buying pre-mitred corners and having extra joints to fill.

Do you 45 degree mitre joints between straight lengths, or butt-joint them?

thanks

i'll have another look at what is available.

even though it is my first time, i am comfortable doing mitred corners.

- the corners on coving can be a right B*****d and not as easy as you may think.

I would prefer to spend a bit of time getting that right, rather than buying pre-mitred corners and having extra joints to fill.

- the joints fill easily.

Do you 45 degree mitre joints between straight lengths, or butt-joint them?

- depends. I normally but them up for quickness

Sponsored Links
If your going for polystyrene and paper coving, just remember it is no where near as robust as the plasterboard stuff, and can be very easily damaged, even when fitting it. Don't press on it too hard when pushing it into place,,,,, watch out it doesn't snap when your lifting it up,,,,, don't even breathe too heavily near it....

Roughcaster.

Same as Dude, put up all types of coving.

However, I do favour the high density polystyrene stuff, lighter, tougher and much easier to put up. Just a run of solvent-free adhesive on both angles, caulk the edges and a couple of hours ready to paint.

I find the paper covered stuff is not so dense and as stated can dent easily, also the paper on the cut ends can burr and can be difficult to smooth out.

If you're doing a long run, it can be worth setting up a laser level, if the wall or ceiling is wavy, it looks far better if the wall edge is level and any irregularities filled on the ceiling edge (Particularly if you're hanging a big pattern paper), probably less noticeable becuse usually ceiling and coving are painted same colour.

i am now very tempted to look at this high density stuff.

I am swerving from the polystyrene stuff, so will more than likely use plaster or HD.

they have this stuff in your average B&Q?

See you're in Fife, don't know how close to Dundee you are, B&Q do some, but Homebase has a much bigger range.

I am a bit confused :rolleyes: (not unusual :LOL: )

The High Density is that like polystyrene covered with paper?

Im about to start this at home and was dreading the cost, i couldn't do plaster but would attempt a lighter "cheaper" material.

for what its worth.................

my limited research over the last few days suggests....

lightest - just polystyrene with no paper cover - basically utter cr*p. VERY easily damaged

then - polystyrene with paper cover - easy to decorate, and looks almost like plaster when finished, but the rounder edges give it away - easily damaged

polyurethane - light weight, but robust moulding. It is plastic, but it is a smooth finish with lighter weight core, ready for painting and with good crisp profile

good old fashioned plaster coving paper covered

very old fashioned, hand made horsehair specials!

I am going with the polyurethane option.

Do yourself a favour and forget the whole idea. More of the stuff comes out than goes up. Way too 80s. Are you putting in dado rails and stripped wallpaper at the bottom and spots at he top?

i agree - in principle, but when you are lining out an extremely old house, a neat cornice can assist in hiding a wonky floor / ceiling joint if the base of the cove is true and level.

No dado rail
no stripy wall paper

may put in a picture rail, but only because i have pictures that need to be hung classically, and the 3.0m ceilings suit it.

80's it is not.

thanks for your concern

Sorry, my mistake, high density polystyrene = polyurethane! (I'm a painter, not a chemist!)

Good luck with the coving, I'm probably in a minority but I like the stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back