coving choices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my son wants to put polystyrene coving on his living room and bedroom...as i have done in my house
his wife is a bit titchy about fire risk etc...

is there a problem or has polystyrene products been 'improved' in that area..
the alternatives seem to be paper covered plaster i think and may be more expensive and harder to fix??

yours...
mrcrow
manchester

Sponsored Links
Polystyrene also damages easily, especially with the hover nozzle. You also get that horrible sound that sends shiver down your spine, when you work with it.

Funny how writing this causes the same reaction :confused:

jbonding said:
price up gyproc coving at b&q youll be suprised.

trafford centre here i come... :)

thanks..will do that...

any comments on fire hazards with the polystyrene :oops:

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Polystyrene also damages easily, especially with the hover nozzle. You also get that horrible sound that sends shiver down your spine, when you work with it.

Funny how writing this causes the same reaction :confused:

Once ..only once...that was enough, its awful stuff.

Plaster coving is far easier to put up...I use tile adhesive to put it up btw....not the fix an grout type though, it has a longer working time..easier to manage than the coving adhesive.

Polysterene (spit) coving and all polysterene products now have an additive to inhibit fire...that said....you still should use oil based paint on them.

Zampa said:
Plaster coving is far easier to put up...I use tile adhesive to put it up btw....not the fix an grout type though, it has a longer working time..easier to manage than the coving adhesive.
I never done it, I wondered if gripfill will do it? Easier & cleaner with the sealant gun!

Put a pencil to polystyrene and it will damage. Used it once and never again. There's a type of coving out made of polyurethane which is reallly good - i'd never use anything else. Its light so easy to put up an doesn't damage like plaster or polystyrene and is fire resistant. And you just stick it with no nails.

Designercolours.com sell it, and you can get samples of designs. I know i keep mentioning this site but you can literally get everything on it! I never thought you could buy this sort of stuff online and now i think i've gone over the top and crazy on it!

As Minul says....and dont use gripfil..its doesnt flaten out very well and you could end up with a gap its also messy and tricky to work with, more so in your case as you will need to scrape away the excess.

Go for no more nails its water based.....there are quite a few variants on the market...stick to the water based stuff an you'l be fine.

Ive put the poylurethane stuff up....its a lot easier to handle than the other stuff and comes in a lot of different patterns, the last time I looked it was dearer than traditional plaster moulded coving, but its easier to put up.

thanks immensely chaps...will now investigate the polyurethane stuff as well...
regarding no nails etc...i have been using the spirit based one and it does go a bit lumpy...ok for the skirting i was putting against some brickwork to make up the gaps
i have the acrylic water based and although it takes a bit longer to set...will be the stuff we use on the coving...
glad to know the polystyrene has got some fire protection...
and i guess it means DO NOT use oil based paints on it...
will be using matt emulsion so that will be ok
i favour the plaster stuff now and will go over to 'the shed' to check it out..
many thanks for quite a bit of info..
cheers
mrcrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back