Plaster coving prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope I've put this in the right section.

How important is it to get rid of paper from the wall/ceiling for fixing plaster coving up?

We've got bloomin woodchip on the ceiling and for the life of me, I can't get it off. It seems to have been put on top of plasterboard with no plaster skim so I'm just digging holes in the plasterboard trying to scrape the woodchip off.

The last thing I want is the coving landing on my head because it's not stuck up properly.

Or should I just take the plaster stuff back and get the paper faced polystyrene? Not keen on polystyrene but the paper faced looks slightly better than just the plain stuff.

Sponsored Links
digging holes wont hurt - it`s a key to the surface :idea: . Use Artex mixed up thick to stick the coving - I tried paper covered polystyrene once - never again :cry: the joints keep cracking - done loads of normal gyproc with no trouble.

Oh, I got the ready mixed stuff for sticking it up - can take that back though - I've not used it.

Does it matter that I can't get the woodchip off?

Is it enough to score it with a stanley knife or screwdriver?

I've used the plaster coving before - but I didn't have the woodchip problem before!

Oh and what about the duropolymer stuff? Better/worse?

Sponsored Links
I would say if the woodchip is well stuck then it`s ok - and also with the scoring :idea: Not used duropolymer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back