Coving falling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's the lightweight paper type, stuck with coving adhesive onto newly plastered walls.

I've scored the walls and wet down with water to stop excessive suction. The adhesive is sticking well to the wall, but the paper coving is just falling off it.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
So the adhesion problem is between adhesive and coving?

Is the adhesive old?, could be a bad batch or maybe you got the mix wrong (apologies as dont know your skill level), other than that i'm not sure, might be worth asking the spreads

I've experienced this problem and found it to be that the adhesive is old as dcdec has suggested.

I used wickes powdered type and changed to the ready mixed stuff. I found this allot better.

On new plaster I would score the walls as use state and apply a watered down coat of PVA.

Thanks guys - you're spot on! Checked the bag and it's a month past it's BB date. Some of it has stuck and isnt' cracking so rather than pull it all down and embark on a big scrape and redo job, I'm tempted to use some Gripfill every 4 inches to ensure it stays in place in future

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I expect it’s a bit late now no doubt you have done it, but having got into a complete mess many times in the past with powdered adhesive I now use ready mixed in a mastic gun cartridge.
Most of the shed outlets that sell lightweight coving do it, I have just used the lightweight adhesive (made by Covemaster if I remember right) from Homebase, easy to use, sticks well and almost no waste.

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back