How do I fix this coving, and wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time ago length of coving, including round corner of window, fell off. It was replaced with plain panel, but has left bare ceiling which needs repairing with woodchip, and also the coving has now stopped at an odd angle. I'm not a DIYer but friend's offered to help. I need to paste woodchip so it blends in with stuff already there, plus somehow fill in the end of coving so it doesn't look so odd.

Any tips deeply appreciated!
IMG_4472.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG

Sponsored Links
If you can buy some wood chip the best way to try and blend it with the old is to tear it when wet and stick it over the old stuff overlapping. If the previous wood chip has a lip to it try and remove that first. Once painted it should all blend together!
Do you still have the old piece of coving?

No, coving fell off ages ago. Could I do wallpaper first or should I wait till coving's done? Thanks for helpful tips on blending in the paper. I'm aware it won't look perfect - just less of an eyesore than now.

Yes, can do it first. When I say rip I literally mean rip in odd directions at different angles and not a straight line!
Can you buy any coving similar to what fell off? It will be mitred into the existing coving so the angles will be fine!

Sponsored Links
To amplify what's already been said, the best thing to do is to put some coving up again.

Even if it doesn't match exactly, it will still look better.

If you aren't much of a DIYer, lightweight polystyrene coving is available. It wouldn't look perfect, but very easy to fit.

Yes, I came back from a previous weekend and whole coving has crashed onto sofa. From the state of the house (underneath fancy decor) I suspect previous owner was a not vg DIYer. I will let you know how it goes (or possibly not depending on what it ends up looking like). Thanks for advice so far!

OK, similar coving appears unobtainable - I had seen it in Homebase years ago. It's far deeper than average. So I decided to fill holes in, and got 500ml no nonsense lightweight filler, not yet applied. Then someone suggested stuffing with newspaper - ok so far as it filled the huge gap. Then a matter of wet or dry paper? Spray with glue before plastering? If wet, would it rot inside the plaster? Someone else said avoid paper and gave me wire mesh, which is difficult to cut or bend - fine for holes in walls, but not for a gap which juts out, I thnk.

2 previous decorators both said they'd just stick card on and paint over that. Do they mean cardboard? Seems very fragile.
Any ideas with newspaper/glue/soaking or spraying water before plastering? You can see from when previous decorator put up pelmet it wasn't perfectionist, but it's done the job ok. Just don't want it to fall off or cause further damage.
Thanks in advance for your time and patience!
IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

I'd use a ready mixed sandable filler. Believe it or not I quite often use the 500ml tubs from home bargains. It dries rock hard and sands nicely. I'd recomend glueing some wood in rather than news paper and then filling with layers.
One other thing is to mitre each joint the opposite direction. This is usually how these would be finished, curving away from the pelmit rather than right up to it. Then fill in the ceiling bit and wood in the hole and fill again.
If this is a bit much though, build up gap with wood and layers of filler. Or pop in a slightly smaller piece of coving and filler over the top. When filler is wet you could always attempt the pattern with your fingers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back