How do I paint over this? 2x layers of old paint and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All, been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post!

I've done some searching on this, but couldn't really find a definite answer for my exact scenario.

Please see the attached image for reference. I'm a newbie DIYer who has recently bought a 1970's house and have removed some woodchip wallpaper from one of the bedrooms. Some sheets have come off and have taken any old paint with it, leaving just the plaster behind, whereas others have left an old layer or two or patchy paint behind.

How would I paint on this? Am I able to just sand off the lose bits and then paint on what is left? Would the new paint self-level over it, I would I need some kind of pre-coat flatting layer? As the plaster is exposed, I believe I will need to first apply a watered down coat of paint?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated!

John

Attachments

• IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
You may be able to use a steam stripper to soften more of the original coating. A power sander next to sand as much as possible, then give it a coat of white matt paint. this will show any defects to the wall which then can filled and sanded. A further coat of white matt and do the same again...... Or get it re skimmed !

Sponsored Links
Okay, thanks guys, I will give these options a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back