Fixing coving - cheap polystyrene

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was in Wickes the other day and saw that they sell polystyrene coving for next to nothing. My girlfriend is hell bent on having coving and when she saw the price my argument that it'll be too expensive was shattered!

Anyhow - the staff couldn't advise the best way of fixing it up (no real surprise). Should I use panel pins into the plaster board and decorator caulk for any gaps or is there some adhesive I can use?

Thanking you in advance...

Sponsored Links
Dont touch it...its a nightmare, ive fixed it once..that was more than enough!

I presume you are talking about the paper faced one as surely they dont still make the other stuff??

Plaster coving really isnt that expensive and in many cases its cheaper than polystrene

Works out about a pound a metre

If i was you id dump the girlfriend....harsh maybe but like buying plaster coving......it will be worth it in the long run! ;)

Oh by the way.....you can fix it with caulk or tile adhesive..but not fix an grout.

get gyproc coving instead not much difference in price theres nowt wrong with it, fixed it loads of time with cove adhesive, stay away from polystyrine aparently it block all doorways in a fire because it drips, i know the old stuff did.

Thanks for the tips guys. re: the girlfriend - I'm always on the lookout for a newer model, one with less maintenance!

Sponsored Links
I always say if you want something get it, dont get it because its cheap. Thats why woman finish with clothes / shoes that they dont ever wear. :LOL:

voicey said:
Thanks for the tips guys. re: the girlfriend - I'm always on the lookout for a newer model, one with less maintenance!

Thats the equivalent of searching for the holy grail :p

nstreet said:
voicey said:

Thats the equivalent of searching for the holy grail :p

Cue arguments!

Thanks again for the tips. I put up some plaster coving this weekend and it looks the business. I used "Artex" branded stuff and all in it only cost around £30 for the bedroom. Nice and easy to put up - finished it in about 3 hours.

Still looking out on the Girlfriend situation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back