new slab, no screed, quarry tiles ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to dig out my old kitchen floor and replace it with an insulated slab.

It's only 3m x 3m, and I'm fine with the construction, but was wondering about using battens fixed round the wall to give me the finished level.

Should I fix these above the edge insulation so the bottom of the batten is level with the finished floor and notch my timber tamping bar so it sits over them or set the battens into the floor so the top is at finished floor level (therefore leaving them in the floor after)?

The reason this is important to me is that I'm hoping not to have to screed the slab so I want to get the flattest, most level finish possible when I cast it. I will be laying ceramic or quarry tiles over the slab. Any comments on my approach to this? Cheers!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back