new smart meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son recently had a new smart meter installed by British gas, his supplier, apart from problems with £4500 bill for a quarter since it went in he now finds there is no supply to the night storage heaters...is this usual, we realise they aren't state of the art energy efficient ones but will last until he can afford a better heating system. Mean while, is it down to the installer to repair this or does he have to shell out for an electrician

Sponsored Links
What is he heating? The town Hall? Certainly sounds like a faulty meter or installation. Contact BG (if you can).

Get British Gas back and give them a good telling off.

Nothing to do with your son.

Oh, and query the bill. :)

Sponsored Links
Hi, thank you for the replies. It is just an ordinary but old house so the bill was obviously wrong, and for spring summer quarter with no heating use. after endless phones calls and them sending out new invoices for the same amount plus interest they had their solicitors arrange a court case to get payment. My sons solicitor sorted it out, the new amount is just short of £160....good result there.
I shall contact Brit Gas again about the heating and try to get them to send someone out, but they are so difficult to speak to!! Just wanted to be sure it is their problem before we start shooting our mouths off at them!! meanwhile, its like a fridge in there at the moment.

Thanks again

Smart meters DO NOT work with economy 7 systems.

You need to get BG back as soon as possible to rectify the situation.

If the storage heaters worked before, then there would of been an e7 meter in place, which allows the storage heaters to work.

SMART METERS DO NOT WORK WITH ECONOMY7. Contact BG and get a meter fitter out to swap it for a 2 rate meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back