Fuse box isolation when smart meter fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician tells me that a new fusebox is needed but there is no isolating switch between it and the smart meter. He has told me that only my electricity supplier can fit such an isolating switch. OVO Energy refuse to engage with me - on the phone their staff don't know what I'm talking about and two letters (one 'to be signed for') have elicited no response. Is my electrician correct - could he switch the mains off at the isolating switch before the smart meter?

Sponsored Links
Only if there had been such a switch. In most cases there is not.

I suppose if you had a prepayment meter you could let it run out.

The latest meters have detection devices to protect against "meter tampering"

“He” can’t (legally) disconnect the supply but he can arrange with the DNO for the supply to be interrupted while he does the work.
He can also install an isolation switch at the same time.

Sponsored Links
“He” can’t (legally) disconnect the supply but he can arrange with the DNO for the supply to be interrupted while he does the work.
He can also install an isolation switch at the same time.
I've had involvement with a number of CU renewals in the last several years and some requests for isolation and reconnexion resulted in a free Isolator being fitted as it's 'cheaper' than a return visit.

Some DNO’s will authorise some electricians/meter operators to pull the company fuse provided appropriate precautions are taken or if trained. Not all but some.

Some DNO’s will authorise some electricians/meter operators to pull the company fuse provided appropriate precautions are taken or if trained. Not all but some.
Yes, same in this region. There is an issue with Smart Meters who will send alarm if the incoming supply is disconnected, but that’s progress I suppose. Maybe that’s why the OP’s electrician is concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back