Blank Electric Meter

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Originally SSE were supplying my electricity. They replaced my meter with a smart meter and also gave me a separate device displaying my readings.
Last summer I switched to Economy Energy who recently were taken over by OVO.
I got an email from OVO asking for meter readings but when I checked it there was no display on it.
Pressed a few buttons on it but still no display.
Any ideas?
Writing this as impossible to get through to ovo

Sponsored Links
Either power has failed - in which case you would know as nothing else will be on.
Or the meter is broken.

Either power has failed - in which case you would know as nothing else will be on.
Or the meter is broken.
thanks. yeah we have electricity.
just nothing on the meter which is weird.
nightmare getting through to the ovo supplier.

With smart meters you should never have to give a reading again. Well that is one of the selling points. But most smart meters stop being smart when you switch suppliers.

I would email OVO and ask them to remove the smart meter as it is not as described.

Sponsored Links
just a thought
if you shine a torch at a specific angle you may get something on the crystal if theres some power but not enough to give a strong display

that's what I thought re smart meters but when I was with SSE they still insisted on me giving manual meter readings as well.
can't remember the reasons they gave now but it was all a bit pointless.

I'd be tempted to cancel the direct debit and send them a recorded delivery letter saying that you'll start paying again once you have a meter which works, and then sit back.

I'd be tempted to cancel the direct debit and send them a recorded delivery letter saying that you'll start paying again once you have a meter which works, and then sit back.

They will probably reply by saying you will be fitted into their schedule when time permits and that, in the meantime they will estimate your bills, which you will need to continue to pay each month.

i would never ever cancel a direct debit if you are happy with and are staying with the provider as sometimes a "discount" or"extra charge" can be connected to payment method
also an unpaid amount will register as a problem and trigger non payment and possible debt management action including mark on your credit report

i would never ever cancel a direct debit if you are happy with and are staying with the provider as sometimes a "discount" or"extra charge" can be connected to payment method
That's certainly true of my supplier. Every bill I get from them says that if I stop paying by Direct Debit (and, I presume they mean, paying by some other method, rather than not paying at all :) ), then my Standing Charge would increase by some amount (if I recall, about £40 pa) for the current year (and, I assume also subsequent years).

One can, of course, try challenging or arguing about such things, but most people would probably think that life is too short for such hassles!

Kind Regards, John

Contact them (via website when logged in ?) and say that the meter is faulty and so not metering your supply. That is likely to get a result as I suspect they cant charge you for electricity if they can't say how much you've used.
That latter fact is something to argue over later - when they send you a bill, point out that they can't provide any evidence as to how much you've used and you'll only pay up to the last actual meter read. They'll waffle on about you must have been using it - just challenge them to give a reading from the meter and you'll accept that.

That's certainly true of my supplier. Every bill I get from them says that if I stop paying by Direct Debit (and, I presume they mean, paying by some other method, rather than not paying at all :) ), then my Standing Charge would increase by some amount (if I recall, about £40 pa) for the current year (and, I assume also subsequent years).

One can, of course, try challenging or arguing about such things, but most people would probably think that life is too short for such hassles!

Kind Regards, John
If the OP thinks life is too short for that then a plan B would be to submit readings as requested. Showing ludicrously low consumption.

Or Plan C is to just sit about hoping that a supplier who is unresponsive to requests to do something about a broken meter will do it when there's a DD in place which allows them to take whatever money they see fit.

... Or Plan C is to just sit about hoping that a supplier who is unresponsive to requests to do something about a broken meter...
Despite all this talk about withholding payments etc., my understanding is that the problem is not that the supplier is "unresponsive to requests to do something about the broken meter" but, rather, is simply that (at least at the last count) the OP had failed in his attempts to contact them to make such a request.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back