New socket from old socket!???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
High I have mounted my new TV on the wall in my bedroom and at the moment the plug hangs down the wall to the socket in the corner. My question is can I connect a cable into the back on the existing socket and run a cable up into the loft and down into a new socket on the wall. Thanks for any help View media item 30898

Sponsored Links
Yes you can provided the original socket is not a spur and that you have a limited number of spurs from the main circuit.

You can not spur off from another spur since that may abnormally load the circuit.

Before you do anything you should first verify that the original socket is not a spur and is part of a safe final circuit that it is correctly protected at the consumer unit.

Technically (under part P of the building regulations) you should also perform specific tests on the completed work and certify it.

You could install a switch fuse spur next to the existing socket. This then could feed the socket behind the tv. You should run the cable as you have proposed providing the existing wiring is suitable as stated.

This means you can easily isolate power without having to reach behind the tv. If you decide to use this method then an un-switched single socket behind the tv would be suitable.

I used this method in my own house and fitted a switch fuse spur next to my bed.

Yes you can provided the original socket is not a spur and that you have a limited number of spurs from the main circuit.

Why do you say that (bolded statement). Could you clarify what you are saying, aside from that I agree with the rest of your posts content.

To the OP-

Clarify that the existing socket is not a spur.

If a ring- then fine, check the TV back, most have an indent area (low LHS) which allows a switched socket and the TV plug with enough access to turn on / off.

If you won't be able to access the plug position to isolate easily (how would you get at the plug fuse if it blew?) then a 20a d/pole switch would be prudent.

If the socket is a spur, then provide a fused spur adjacent to the socket and run up to an unswitched socket behind the TV.

Sponsored Links
So if the socket is a spur is this the idea?

Two Q's

1-How do I tell if its a spur? (Its a new build house so is there a higher chance its not a spur)

2-What size fuse would you use? View media item 30902

Why do you say that (bolded statement). Could you clarify what you are saying, aside from that I agree with the rest of your posts content.

I think he means that the number of spurs should not exceed the number of sockets wired directly to the ring.

Newgasinstaller - remember there may be another socket somewhere that may be more convenient to get the supply from. Possibly you have a socket near an airing cupboard or similar, where you could hide the cable.

[/quote]

I think he means that the number of spurs should not exceed the number of sockets wired directly to the ring.
[/quote]

Correct and apologies for my lack of clarity in that statement.

So if the socket is a spur is this the idea?

Two Q's

1-How do I tell if its a spur? (Its a new build house so is there a higher chance its not a spur)

2-What size fuse would you use? View media item 30902

Isolate ring at CU, test continuity LNE- then (while isolated) break ring at socket. If the socket is direct on ring when retested for continuity the circuit won't have any because it's broken.

You could seperate the 2 x TE cables at the socket, testing live on both cables also indicates a ring.

As for the fuse it depends on the TV watt load. Google or look on the rear, it's likely to be about 180-240w. Amps =watts / 230v.
So say its 240w therefore 240w / 230v = 1.05 amps, a 3 amp tends to cover 95% of flat screen TV's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back