New Spot board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,i just completed an week training in plastering,Damm it hard work but the results are great.I just started get some kit together so i can do my house,Got an spot table and instaed of payin £18 for an bit of wood i made one with an bit of half inch plywood.what do you guys treat the board with before use..i was thinkin of tryin pva over night..Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't treat it with anything, just use it until it's knackered, keep it clean when you have done with it.
You'll find a lot of folk work out of the bucket these days, they'll be the occasion you'll need it though, they still have their place.

I use an old kitchen cupboard door.
(From 1970s and a nice shade of sky blue melamine coated chipboard!)
Very low suction.

PBoD's right,,, dont treat it with anything, it'll form it's own surface/skin over time. As all you have to do with it each time you use it, is give it a good wet down with water. Clean it off each time you've finished with it too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,am new at plastering and not very fast an hopeing that will come in time and i thought an table would be quicker to get on the hawk,let alone save my back every 2 mins..I have a 1000 and 1 questions but i will read abit on this forum 1st :LOL:

Ask away Ricky, if you ever need advise, some sound folk here, that are always willing to help, but you will find practise will teach you the best.

You can ask whatever you want about plastering on here Rick. ( That's my son's name by the way,,, well Richard officially :LOL: , but he gets called Rick.

I used to work out the bucket too then realised how easy it is with a spot board, I don't know if its me the spread seems to last that bit longer too?

I'm afraid I'm a Gorrilla tub man ,
I used an 8x4 sheet of ply once when I was dubbingout , scratchin' and floatin' a total renovation job I was doing, The lad was sending the muck up on the pulley and I was getting two mixes at a time on the ply which was across two tressels. All the walls were stone and they took a lot of muck to pull them in line. The owner wanted all the walls plumb and straight so I had to plumb screeds up and fill in between...

look at any builders skip you will always find a pile of knackered spot boards. :D

You don't need to , but I give my new spotbards a coat of SBR, it keeps them la bit lighter as they don't suck up so much water, they don't need a soaking after the weekend before use and also last a bit longer as a result too. As I say, doesn't make a whole pile of difference. I also cut the corners off.

The most important thing is to take each hawkfull off the board cleanly - this is one way to spot someone who has not served their time. And any bit left on th eboard, just scrape it into the corner leaving teh board clean - while the gear is still soft.

I might be old fashioned ('might 'you say??) but I hate to see hammers etc used for cleaning boards, buckets etc and like it all to be kept clean as we go.

Thanks for the tips guys.its always good to see diff plasters do thing diff,i guess everyone to there own as long as the result ends up good :cool:

but on an other note would be nice to understand all the lingo..as someone new to this and i have spent some days reading though the 1st 27 pages in this secton.one thing i would like to see is an ref guild.. SBR=?? etc etc i find this would be all good info for all newcomers..Thanks Rick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back