Spot Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

As I'm new to plastering and learnt the basics at night school where we used a spot board, so I thought I'd have one myself...why not eh?

I wasn't sure what sort of wood to use and the guy at night school said it was MDF. However, I'm finding that the mix is going off quite quickly on the piece of MDF I have.

Is MDF good enough to use or is it's suction possibly causing me problems (I am damping down the board beforehand)?

BTW I've used "out of the bucket" as well but prefer the board as it can be slapped onto the hawk whilst on the step up.

Any advice welcome as usual!!

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't have MDF is a good idea. WBP Ply would be a better choice... Once used a few times the naturals sediments left by old plaster will create a barrier for additional loads.

never understood using MDF, is like a sponge, unless of course you get green MDF, MDF is sold by many online stores for spot boards along with stands, i opted to buy the stand only and a an 8x4 sheet of WBP ply and made 2 spot boards from it about a mter square each.

like neds says, doesn't take too long for the ply to get a shiny coating to it.

muck should always stay alive longer on a spot than in a bucket.

Sponsored Links
Agree with the suggestion of WBP Ply wood and will not need to be treated as usage will form a skin over it, just keep in clean and a bit of a wash down when finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back