Spot board size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Been on hols so out of action for a week.

Got a question on spot boards.

I use an old kitchen cupboard door (square sided about 55cm each).

I am finding that as I can handle a bit more multi now and with a runnier mix than before, when I pour out from my mixing bucket onto the wetted spot board, it's hard to keep the multi from oozing off. :confused:

:idea: I am thinking I prob need a bigger board!

So, for those that use spot boards (rather than direct from bucket), is there a preferred size of spot board you go for?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hello all

Been on hols so out of action for a week.

Got a question on spot boards.

I use an old kitchen cupboard door (square sided about 55cm each).

I am finding that as I can handle a bit more multi now and with a runnier mix than before, when I pour out from my mixing bucket onto the wetted spot board, it's hard to keep the multi from oozing off. :confused:

:idea: I am thinking I prob need a bigger board!

So, for those that use spot boards (rather than direct from bucket), is there a preferred size of spot board you go for?

TIA

It depends...

if you use a bucket of finish at a time, then that's all you need to get on teh board. If you use two and lay down with one perhaps a bigger board.

If floating, it's better if you can get a board that suits how YOU work - with render you want at least a barrow on there, but you may feel it's mreo productive to get two barrows on there and carry on floating for longer. If using hardwall, it's nice to get a board that will take your mix (say two bags) or that you can empty your mixing bin out in two goes ( say if mix 3, then get half it on the board)

It also depends on where you are working, there is no point having a massive board in a small room, or making it awkward to fit into your vehicle or storage area.

a 1m2 or 1200x1200 might be a nice size.

very thorough reply as always Mic!

mine is a square metre Newbie, spot on for me (excuse the pun) :D

got 2 cut out of an 8x4 sheet of ply.

just fits in my van nicely, you should keep your smaller one for when you have less space like Mic says, to be honest though i go back to working from a bucket if it gets that small and tight.

hope the hols were good?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help guys.
Confirmed I'll look for something about 1m2 also for when space permits.
Mine all at home and the rooms are usually stripped clear, so plenty of room to splash the stuff about!

hope the hols were good?

Great thanks. 1wk in Cyprus. Rather hot out there!

I noticed actually (since doing a spot of plastering at home) I tend to keep any eye out at plastering finishes etc to see how good they are when out & about. Whilst out there, I had a nosy at a lot of the local finishes used.

External render looked nothing majorly different to here, but a few restaurants used (internally) what looked like... a hardwall, but mixed with straw and finished with a sponge float to leave a rough & circular texture.

I thought it was interesting! :D
Tho didn't share it with the rest of the dining party I was with, as they may not have had the same opinion! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back