New Supplier inherits Broadband problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
It's my aunt's broadband problems again.
Plugging the 30ft telephone extension cable into the socket in the hall is just not giving a reliable broadband. I find out that her installation was done by BT (or should I say the GPO), is at least 25 years old, has a junction box in the loft and no designated master socket.
Unfortunately she recently changed over completely to TalkTalk (line rental, phone, the lot). So if she calls out TalkTalk to update her system to give her a satisfactory level of broadband, who is responsible for what, who will do what and who pays?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
If she gets a openreach engineer out the service provider pays for the engineer to improve the broadband,the engineer should correct the wiring you describe,its called star wiring and should be corrected on a sfi adsl fault.he should also change the nte for a openreach branded nte with built in bell wire filter,all this is standard practise and the bare minimum that the engineer should do.

It might not be that simple...

When I had problems with my broadband, the first thing I did was to contact my ISP (Virgin), who referred me to BT. BT passed me to Openreach. Openreach did a remote test on the line, declared it satisfactory and told me that since there was no fault, it would cost me to have an engineer come out and change the Mastersocket at the princely sum of £120. Then, I would have to pay extra to get the wiring from Mastersocket and on sorted out.

Maybe I just got bad service?

To be honest I was going to do the complete rewiring of her telephone system myself until I was warned about it being illegal to touch anything before the master socket.
Interestingly because she doesn't have a master socket can I legally work on the junction box in the loft and wires coming out of this box (EXCLUDING the BT Drop wire).
Failing that she will have to take pot-luck with BT OpenReach.

Sponsored Links
It might not be that simple...

When I had problems with my broadband, the first thing I did was to contact my ISP (Virgin), who referred me to BT. BT passed me to Openreach. Openreach did a remote test on the line, declared it satisfactory and told me that since there was no fault, it would cost me to have an engineer come out and change the Mastersocket at the princely sum of £120. Then, I would have to pay extra to get the wiring from Mastersocket and on sorted out.

Maybe I just got bad service?

If your having problems with your ADSL first thing they will do is a line test to test for any faults in the openreach network,if no copper faults are found then your service provider should contact openreach to carry out a sfi broadband test at the end user this is paid for by the service provider.The two are different,a line fault will effect your adsl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back