New surface for driveway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a section of drive laid with pavers that butt up against a further parking area laid with tarmac (about 40 sq m).

The tarmac, however, seems to consist of a base coat where the top coat has come away (there are patches of about 100mm in diameter where the top coat still appears in place). The tarmac has been down a long time and is solid with no cracking or sinking in evidence, and it is bordered by concrete edging on two sides, the house wall on the third side and pavers on the fourth side.

We are not great lovers of tarmac and would like to 'tidy it up'.

The two alternatives that have been suggested are either a 'resin' topcoat of 15/18mm laid on the existing tarmac surface - or large porcelain tiles (suitable for driveways) on a 50mm bed of mortar mix using the existing tarmac base.

We do not have a large amount to spend on it (our pension fund was halved with the recent economic disasters) so taking the whole drive up and replacing it is not financially viable, but I am still fit enough to lay something like porcelain tiles.

The problem with this solution is that laying the tiles on a 50mm bed of mortar would raise the surface 70mm above the existing one - which is a bit high.

So I have to ask - is a 50mm mortar base totally necessary, or could we get away with, say 20mm - which is doable?

The tile suppliers will not comment when asked - I guess they have to be careful with any recommendations which deviate from their 'standard practices' - but in the real world, those of you involved in this sort of work will, hopefully, have a better understanding of what is acceptable.

Comments/views would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back