Tarmac vs block paving driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're doing all the ground work for our driveway so is if we have tarmac we'll have to get someone in to lay it but if we go for block paving we can lay that ourselves.

Which is going to last longer?
Which is cheaper?

Anyone know that approx price per sq metre for tarmac to be laid?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tarmac will be much cheaper to have laid than block paving.
But Tarmac material cost will rise with the oil prices as it is oil based product.
A good Tarmac drive has been known to last 25-30 years.
It's hard to say what the cost would be at the moment and it will change from area to area. I would guess around the £25 a metre mark but I would advice to call the pros in your area and get some quotes and also so ask for references and proof of quality work.

I prefer the look of block paving. That would sway me. But laying it yourself will be very hard on the knees.

If you need to take a section up for cables or drains, it is not so noticable as patched blacktop.

View media item 1509

Sponsored Links
But laying it yourself will be very hard on the knees.

Not my knees, my husband's so that's not an issure for ME :LOL: .

Anyone recommend a good base that would be suitable for both? We were planning on using tarmac planings (we used this at my last house and it was good) for the base so we can still park on it for a while as we are doing some more work on the house (knocking through into the garage and putting up a conservatory) so don't want to mess up a nice new drive with building work rubbish.

I wasn't sure if the tarmac planings would be OK to lay block paving on. I suppose we could do a layer of something on top of that base in the future if we do decide with the blocks?

Forget the road planings just do it all in well compacted MOT. Blocking paving looks considerably better in my opinion.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons however i would say either block pave it or get it done in asphalt. It's dearer but far superior to tarmac and a must if you have a drive that any turning is done on. For simple drive in drive out type driveways found on semi's etc tarmac is ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back