New system boiler issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our builder installed a new boiler (Vaillant Ecotec 630) 10 months ago. Previously we had the pressure drop after bleeding rads. For the last couple of weeks we've had the pressure drop every 3-4 days. We looked for a leak but nothing obvious. Then we happened to be outside when the boiler started and this surge of liquid shot out of the flue. I contacted both the heating company that installed it and the builder. The heating company never return my calls and the builder said he would chase them. A week later he has asked for a video of the problem! The thing is we don't know when/how often this water spurt is happening. Could the spurts of fluid out the flu be causing the low pressure? Is this something that needs urgent attention? We are loathe to spend out for someone new to investigate but also feel this builder doesn't care or want to check.

Sponsored Links
Our builder installed a new boiler (Vaillant Ecotec 630) 10 months ago. Previously we had the pressure drop after bleeding rads. For the last couple of weeks we've had the pressure drop every 3-4 days. We looked for a leak but nothing obvious. Then we happened to be outside when the boiler started and this surge of liquid shot out of the flue. I contacted both the heating company that installed it and the builder. The heating company never return my calls and the builder said he would chase them. A week later he has asked for a video of the problem! The thing is we don't know when/how often this water spurt is happening. Could the spurts of fluid out the flu be causing the low pressure? Is this something that needs urgent attention? We are loathe to spend out for someone new to investigate but also feel this builder doesn't care or want to check.

The boiler will ve under warranty. Give Vailant a call.

Sponsored Links
There is a resident expert on this site about spurts @jeff the gasman I have tagged him for you , he knows everything there is to know about spurts
Thank you Ian but I don’t have the ticket for spurts. I do however hold the full squirt module.
I think the flue run is flat and pooling, fan purge is causing excessive ejaculation of fluid.
I’d get the installer back.
Jeff

If he won't come back then check with Gas safe that the boiler has been registered.

Our builder installed a new boiler

That may be your problem, right there!

Was he a registered gas Installer>
Did he complete the benchmark?
Did he register the boiler (You should have received a certificate , normally in the post direct from Gas Safe. It normally (use to, anyway) come with an initiation to nominate your install for an inspection by Gas Safelly, did yu have similar o

Finally, did you have similar problems with your old boiler?

The builder got a company in to do the boiler (his friends) and I've checked and the main guy is gas safe registered. When the installer finally returned my calls he questioned when boiler was done, were we sure it was related to the loft conversion etc and didn't want to come back. I explained I didn't know what the issue was so how can I answer and that as it's not even 12 months since he installed he needs to return. He said he would come back to me but he hasn't. He said not to worry and just keep filling system when error comes up! The old boiler wasn't a system boiler. It was very old too but generally worked ok. He did register the boiler so I have the guarantee.

You can report your concerns to Gas Safe https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/g...ng-illegal-gas-work/report-gas-work-concerns/ who might be persuaded to get off their asses and stage arrange a site visit to inspect the installation.

To test whether it's a boiler or system issue, top up the system and note the pressure. Switch the boiler off and turn off the flow & return valves on the boiler. Leave for a couple of days (you can use your immersion heater for hot water) and see whether the pressure drops on the boiler. If it looks steady, open the valves and observe whether the pressure immediately drops. If it does, the leak is system side. If it has dropped with the valves closed, the leak is within the boiler

You can report your concerns to Gas Safe https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/g...ng-illegal-gas-work/report-gas-work-concerns/ who might be persuaded to get off their asses and stage arrange a site visit to inspect the installation.
I would like to report them as I do have concerns. Right after initial installation we had a gas leak (which gas safe fixed) due to the installer spilling flux (sp?) on the pipes below. My only concern is will the installer know it was me who reported them? I have young children and don't want any threatening or unpleasant come back on us.

I would like to report them as I do have concerns. Right after initial installation we had a gas leak (which gas safe fixed) due to the installer spilling flux (sp?) on the pipes below. My only concern is will the installer know it was me who reported them? I have young children and don't want any threatening or unpleasant come back on us.

Gas Safe do not repair anything.

The pipe that leaked due to flux contamination - was it the "anaconda", a stainless steel tube used to connect the meter|?

Then we happened to be outside when the boiler started and this surge of liquid shot out of the flue

This may have nothing to do with the system pressure loss other than water sitting in flue that is incorrectly fitted. The valiant flue is installed level such that water in the exhaust tube runs back to the boiler. If inner tube is level, condensate will accumulate in it and then run out like what you saw.

I suppose your own safety is a concern. If Gas Safe attend, they will at a push will want the installer to attend. If he or she is not registered, then prosecution could be the end result.

In your initial post, you said pressure dropped when you bled the radiators. You are aware that your system is a sealed system. Water that enters the system, stays there unless you bleed a radiator, there is a leak or safety valve in the boiler operated due to a defect or system pressure reaching 3 bar.

Did your installer spill flux on the pipe or perhaps that was done by previous person?

They will absolutely know you have reported them, because Gas Safe will force them to rectify any installation faults on pain of losing their registration if they refuse. It's a huge leap to think they might threaten you or your children over it though, unless they've already given you specific cause for concern in that direction?

Gas Safe do not repair anything.

The pipe that leaked due to flux contamination - was it the "anaconda", a stainless steel tube used to connect the meter|?
Yes it was the main pipe into the meter. I called the gas safety number for when you smell gas. I initially asked the installer and builder but they said it was in my head. However our dog started being sick and I was sure I could smell it so called the main number. They came out straight away and said there was a leak and fixed it free. The pipe was below all the new pipe work so they felt it was flux spilt during the install. The installer didn't cover the area below as he worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back