new thermostatic mixer shower

B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not totally clueless with regards to plumbing, but this is the first time I've tried fitting a shower. We had a combi boiler fitted last year (Worcester 28i Junior) and the old shower was struggling with the increased cold water pressure. I'm now replacing the whole bath suite, so have put in a new shower - TS1850 (sirrusshowers.co.uk). Maybe I should have gone for a more well know make...

I wanted to conceal the valve and had a lot of trouble switching from exposed to concealed fitting, but a friend helped with a couple of little metal clips that weren't totally obvious. So, the valve now looks the part, but having connected it up yesterday I find I can't turn off the water flow... could it be as simple as the front dial controlling water flow being put on 'too far round' so I think I'm turning it off and the insides still think they're on (if that makes sense)?

Also it looks like the outlets from the valve are leaking a bit. I presume the top and bottom outlets are just there so you can use whichever is most convenient? I've used s little PTFE tape on the threads and thightened with a spanner. Any suggestions - would some kind of jointing compound be better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can't turn off the water flow... could it be as simple as the front dial controlling water flow being put on 'too far round' so I think I'm turning it off and the insides still think they're on (if that makes sense)?

Makes sense, could well be debris on the valve seating.

Also it looks like the outlets from the valve are leaking a bit. I presume the top and bottom outlets are just there so you can use whichever is most convenient? I've used s little PTFE tape on the threads and thightened with a spanner. Any suggestions - would some kind of jointing compound be better?

I carry a selection of various sized fibre washers and have used these in the past, try something like fernox LSX, or good old plumbers mate.

Thanks, I'll take the front apart again and check there's no debris and all looks ok inside.

Is there a special tool for removing / inserting those little metal clips ('c' shaped with the little holes in the ends)? It took two of us with three flat screw drivers to prise them off and on again last time.

Yes circlip pliers, available at one of the big shed, on a bankholiday weekend ;)

Sponsored Links
Looks like the unused outlet should have a plug in it
As you can't see it, you can just use lots of tape on the threads.

If the other one uses a rotating cap to pull something down onto the end of a thread, you will have to get a washer to fit - should have been in the kit.
http://sirrusshowers.co.uk/uploads/prd44844b1463c391.jpg

not sure I quite follow that bit about the rotating cap, so hopefully that means it's not relavent. There might have been a plug in with other bits and pieces. I'll have another look and hopefully that will stop that outlet leaking. Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back