New Tiling project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to tile my entire bathroom and it is not a cube or cuboid. It has varying floor to height ceiling on 3 walls.

My first problem is how to tile this wall:
My tiles are 300mm x 400mm wide. I am using them length ways

The wall in question is 1680mm wide.

4 tiles = 1600
4mm grout lines = 16mm
== 1616
Leaving 64mm.

Now I dont want to have a thin strip so how do I avoid this???

Sponsored Links
Start with a half tile then three full tiles then a cut to suit the space you have left. Obviously that end cut will be bigger than a half tile (at about 264mm or so depending on grout thickness and how straight the walls are etc).

Doing it this way means you can use both ends of first the half cut tiles (so you get two rows from a tile if you get my drift), but means the wall will look slightly uneven due to a bigger cut on one end than the other. To look really professional you should split the difference and do a 232mm cut at both ends, but obviously you'll use more tiles (but will have lots of 168mm cuts left if they would be useful elsewhere).

Do the same with the height. ie your wall might look better with a three quarter cut at the bottom and a half cut at the top etc. Also use this theory to work out how to cut around pipes/obstacles - ie it might be better to start with a three quarter tile somewhere if it means only cutting a small notch out of an end to suit a pipe etc.

Hope that makes sense. BTW I'm not a professional tiler so it takes me a while to work out all the above theory, but I always end up with a high quality professional finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back