New to diynot - hello!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

This is my first post here so hi!

I am currently considering my first diy extension and i am frankly amazed at some of the quotes i have been getting for it.

I have therefore been thinking about doing a proportion of this work myself.

Stay tuned for some random(ish) technical questions but for now ....Hi!

Sponsored Links
Hi there

I have so far been geting quotes around the £1.4k-£2.5k/m2 mark for a (mostly) glass build. This doesn't include kitting out/plumbing/electric either!

I am after a front (first floor 2x2m) and rear extension (6x4m lean-to). I apreciate that some elements of

The key elements of work include:-

1. Underpin 3 corners of the house
2. Install goalpost steel beam (256mm2 and 6.4m long) - gonna be heavy!
3. Connect 2nd beam to beam mentioned in 2.
4. Install 6.5m span sliding doorson rear face, 3xvelux windows and side door into rear extension.

I appreciate that this is likely to be a tricky job and I am happy to pay for technical work but my budget simply cannot stretch to what some people are asking. So i am looking for jobs that i can do to save some cash.

At present i am carrying out a risk vs cost vs expertise assessment of most of the jobs and part of this is assessing exactly what is required for each task.

I currently having a headscratch on the underpinning and the installation of the beam and looking for lifting equipment that could shift such a weight to such a height. Crane access at the rear is impossible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back