new to plastering (starting out) ADVISE NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

i have started to plaster my house. i have always wanted to learn a trade and this seems perfect. i bought a dvd to show me the basics and had a go myself last weekend. i was well impressed with my first wall. but then disaster struck ..... i have plastered 3 walls since and none of them are anywhere near as good , i keep getting imperfections all over the wall and its driving me mad. how can i get a finish with NO marks at all. very difficult. it looks fine when its wet but after a day or so it doesn't look half as good. PRO ADVISE NEEDED[/b]

Sponsored Links
It is knowing when it is time to start troweling up. A lot depends on the back ground you have just plastered over some pull in quick and some are more slower. A good trowel helps as well you need one that is broke in or semi worn. The top front corners should be rounded off you can do this yourself with a file and a sandstone. Then it is plenty of practice. You will not learn over night i am 25 years at it and still learning. :D S/S

your just starting out,dont put the kind of pressure the wish for blemish free perfect walls give you.

take your time filling in the voids on the second coat,smooth out a section and move on,if the plaster is still wet in parts continous troweling can cause dips and waves in the plaster wich can be hassle to get right .

it is difficult to get a perfect blemish free wall,but just remember paint covers a multitude of sins .

thanks for the advise . much appreciated
i practised again last night and got a much better result. i dry troweled after about 12 minutes and the lines came out a treat. will keep practising. i am doing the hall way next how do you plaster the walls and ceiling at the top of the stairs it looks dangerous. confused??????????????

Sponsored Links
Very carefully, thats how you plaster the ceiling and walls at the top of the stairs. Take time to set yourself up a safe working platform, we usually manage with a ladder and some scaffold boards.

why not try your hand at a false ceiling if you doing the landing .

same here ladder one end scaff the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back