New toilet cistern ball valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dynorod fitted a new ball valve for me yesterday as part of my BG contract because the old one was leaking, and when he fitted it and tried it, it stopped when the cistern was full with no drips. Great, I thought. Since then, whenever it stops, it now emits quite a big bang which sounds to me like an airlock although I have opened all the taps and they go on and off ok, and I have also reduced the water pressure at the stop cock, but it still makes that bang when the cistern has filled. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It is probably an equilibrium type which have a positive stop action, as opposed to normal float valves which close slowly.

Maybe go back to the original style ballvalve - can you post a pic. for a definitive answer ;) Don`t you just love Centrica :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Have you got an isolation valve on the incoming mains pipework to the cistern. If so, just turn it off/down a little so the pressure is not as forceful and this will sort out the "clunk".

Partly closing the stopcock on your mains supply will not reduce your water pressure, it just limits the maximum flow rate, and erodes the valve washer and seat so the stopcock won't work when you need it to.

The 'bang' may be poorly supported pipework somewhere else in the house that the rapid closing of the new valve sets rattling.

Many (all?) equilibrium valves are supplied with flow restrictors, which are used according to the water pressure at the inlet. If it has been omitted, or the wrong one fitted, the valve can close with more of a bang than it should.

Result! I got Dynorod to come back out and fit a different valve. Perfect now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back