Noisy new ball valve in toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a new ball valve fitted in my toilet cistern (thank goodness for BG Plumbing cover) because the old one was leaking and overflowed. However, the new one works ok but is very noisy when re-filling because the water gushes out like a tap. It doesn't take very long to refill, but it there anythhing I can do to make it quieter!

Sponsored Links
yeh. lol. should have saved your cover fee every month and paid to have a plumber replace it with a quality valve. horses for courses!

Oh yeah, and pay a plumber to come out on a Bank Holiday, I wasn't looking for sarcasm!"!!!! It was a realistic question, just wanted a realistic answer!!

Could be the valve seat has a low pressure one fitted instead of hi pressure (I'm assuming your cistern is mains fed). Is your new float valve and arm plastic?
If so it may have a small coned shaped piece of plastic attached. You have 2 of these come with a plastic float one with a larger hole than the other which fits inside the float valve.
If you have mains supply to cistern fit smaller one and larger for tank fed.
Alternatively fit a torbeck float valve which are quieter ;)
Also if you have an isolating valve fitted to the toilet supply you could try turning it down a bit to reduce flow :)

Sponsored Links
or u could have read the readers digest bit on how to do plumbing

if you have a stop cock that works and you have the time learn to do these jobs yourself

plumbers are all ROBBERS offence intended

Tut tut Slogger. :eek:
You WILL need one one day and I am sure that comment will come back to haunt you :evil:

BAHCO said:
Could be the valve seat has a low pressure one fitted instead of hi pressure (I'm assuming your cistern is mains fed). Is your new float valve and arm plastic?
If so it may have a small coned shaped piece of plastic attached. You have 2 of these come with a plastic float one with a larger hole than the other which fits inside the float valve.
If you have mains supply to cistern fit smaller one and larger for tank fed.
Alternatively fit a torbeck float valve which are quieter ;)
Also if you have an isolating valve fitted to the toilet supply you could try turning it down a bit to reduce flow :)

Thank you for a sensible answer! Yes the float is plastic. It doesn't have the piece of plastic you describe. I am loath to buy a new float, isn't there anything I could buy to put where the water gushes out. It's not so much the noise ( because it fills up quickly) it's the constant drip that occurs until it reaches its level. What I need is a sort of tube device which will rest in the water so that I won't hear the drip! Thanks for your help.

fliudmaster do a silent ballvalve works a treat.torbeck also do one very quiet in operation.some homeowners put a tube over the outlet to just below the water line to stop the noise.

You cannot fit a tube over water outlet due to possibility of back siphonage. :eek: However if you were to fit a DCV to supply pipe it would satisfy water company ;)

bacho please read my reply i know what the regs state i was simply stating what some home owners have done to alleviate the prob,when was the last time a water byelaw inspector called at a private house and asked to carry out an inspection? if we all worked to the regs 100% what aperfect world it would be,:cool:

BAHCO said:
You cannot fit a tube over water outlet due to possibility of back siphonage. :eek: However if you were to fit a DCV to supply pipe it would satisfy water company ;)

DCV????? :confused: :confused:

DCV = Double check valve. A non return valve, not a very expensive thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back