Reducing flow into cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a c/c cistern installed but it is very noisy when filling. This is caused because I have had to turn the ball valve to nearly closed to reduce the flow because if it was fully open, the flow would be too great and the cistern would fill too quickly. The overflow would not be able to cope if it was needed.
Is there a restrictor or something that I can install at the ball valve or where the flexible hose meets the cistern inlet that will restrict the flow so that I can fully open the ball valve.
Thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
What sort of valve has it got? A standard plastic float operated valve comes with different seatings for high and low pressure. The high pressure one is generally white and the low pressure red. Other valves come with inserts to reduce the flow. You may need to change the valve to get one with the inserts you need.

fit a silent filling valve. I used to use Torbecks or the very similar Armitage Shanks but some people say the Fluidmaster are better. The design has changed recently and the new ones are bigger. Opella (who make Torbecks) have a fantastic after-sales and will send you replacement parts foc if anything wears or becomes noisy. The old model Torbeck was supplied with a spiral flow restrictor for very high pressure supplies but I don't know if that's needed with the new one.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-side-entry-fill-valve/85797

http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/fill-flush-valves/cat831618

They are prone to dirt or grit in the water so you may need to take them apart and rinse every few years. If there is a service valve to the cistern it is much easier to do that (it sounds like you have as you say you have turned the valve down)

It is easier to change cistern valves if they come in from the side rather than the bottom of the tank. Make sure you buy the right one.

The new flushing valves are also far quieter than the old syphon, especially the Flapper which is a masterpiece of simplicity and gives a powerful and quiet flush. Replacement flappers are available as service parts..

I have a modern flushing cistern with the two buttons on top.
The problem is that the flow is too great into the cistern and I have to turn the isolating valve to nearly shut in order to reduce the flow.
This is what is causing is to be really noisy.
Thanks again in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
You could fit a flow restrictor.
iso-flow.jpg

Or you could, as suggested, fit a Fluidmaster inlet valve. These discharge below the waterline and are very quiet when filling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back