New Toilet Fitted - Stain where the old one used to be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This one has been driving me nuts for a few weeks!

I recently had a new bathroom suite fitted. The new WC, being a modern close coupled type, sits nearer to the wall than the old one by about 6 inches. There is a mark, or probably more accurately a stain on the floorboards, following the line of the front of the old one which is about an inch deep. At first it seemed to dry out, then got worse again. I thought at first that there was a leak somewhere from the new WC or the connectors, but I'm more or less convinced that this isn't the case.

The "stain" smells decidely of urine as if someone has had trouble hitting the pan in the past around where the old WC used to be. I should hasten to add that I have only been in the house for a few months and am pleading not guilty!

The question is whether it is normal for this sort of stain to seem to dry out and then reappear again...has anyone had a similar problem? That is with this sort of stain, not hitting the pan! :) I'm tempted to try to dry it out gently using a hair dryer. I'm reluctant to get my lino floor finish layed until this is sorted.

Thanks...and no taking the p*ss! :)

Sponsored Links
I am going to guess that urine splashes around the old pedestal have dried into the wood and left hydroscopic salts.

You could try sponging with clean water. I believe bicarbonate of soda in the water wil help kill the smell.

hyGroscopic means that they attract more moisture to themselves :confused: .....Therefore that explains why I drink a pint and **** a gallon :eek: I`m getting more moisture ingressing from somewhere........sorry to be pedantic :LOL: ;)

Bathrooms are intrinsically damp environments and when the humidity changes the smell can return.

I believe a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and bicarbonate of soda is good for removing these sort of stains and should kill the smell as well. I used it on the cat variety which is every bit as pungent!

Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this on the net.

Sponsored Links
The idea of the sponging was to sponge the old urine away.

Thanks for the responses guys..will give this a try.

Off to try and find some Hydrogen Peroxide - perhaps I can bleach my hair at the same time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back