New Toilet Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just moved into a newly bought property and I need to install a new toilet in the downstairs cloakroom as the existing "traditional style" one is unstable, inefficient in terms of cistern volume and doesn't flush properly. The existing toilet has a 90 degree rigid connector to the soil pipe (see pictures). I'd like to replace with a close-coupled, short projection toilet. QUESTION 1 - Does this need to be an "open back" style toilet or will one that is enclosed (back to wall) work?

QUESTION 2 relates to the soil pipe connector. I'm intending to use a flexible pan connector, but from the photos I have attached, is someone more expert than me able to tell me if I need a specific type of flexible connector? There are so many on the screwfix website! Would the existing white 90 degree connector shown in the photo typically sit inside / flush to / outside the pipe that is recessed into the floor? Fundamentally, the existing setup looks a bit odd and the fact that silicone sealant has been used at floor level does not fill me with confidence about the existing setup!

Ideally, I'd like to retain the existing connector but that will be dictated by the invert height of the pipe out of the new toilet.

Any tips / advice on how best to make that connection appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
With drain in that position most new pans could be made to work,
I would personally replace existing bent pan connecter (it should just pull upwards.)
We tend to avoid flexi pan connectors great for creating blockages and rats love them.

I would seriously look at what you think is wrong with the existing WC, before condemning it. The original design with siphon and 9L flush will outlast and outperform anything on the market today, I can assure you. You might think you're saving 3 litres of water each flush with a new WC, but when you're having to flush 2-3 times to clear the pan, and/or the Flush Valve is worn and there's a constant dribble of water going down the back of the pan, until such time as the valve can be sorted, then that saving soon disappears. Might only need a Washer in the Siphon to sort the existing WC out!

If you're hell bent on replacement though, you'll need a 90º Pan Connector, should be a straight swap for what's there. It'll fit inside the drain, the fins will compress as you insert the spigot into the pipe and form the required seal. As Exedon has advised, avoid Flexi Pan Connectors, especially on Ground Floor WC's. They are translucent, Rats see the light and an opportunity to exit, the thin plastic is no obstacle to Rodent teeth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back