New toilet location/soil pipe problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just built an extension, with cloakroom on outside wall, had a new soil pipe put into the ground/ oversite and linked properly into the main sewer. Left the outlet open on surface. Now can we fit a toilet straight to that or do we need to have some sort of vent pipe?? This is a totally different soil pipe to the main house one. Am worried there isn't enough room in the corner where we have the pipe coming from the ground to put any soil stack/vent? Can they link straight to the soilpipe that leads to the sewer? Sorry if this sounds really stupid but I am a DIYer and builders got us this far so hope what they've done is right.

Sponsored Links
Yes providing the base of the W/C is no more than 1.3m from the drain invert (the horizontal bit under the ground) & you don’t need a vented stack.

See Part H, page 7 here;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

I assume you are aware this work is notifyable as is your extension! Either you or your builder should have submitted a Building Notice & paid an inspection fee to your Local Authority Building Control (LABC) for inspection at various stages of construction to ensure it complies with current Building Regulations; this includes new drainage runs/connections & sometimes the inspector will insist on witnessing a water or pressure test on them; have you or your builder taken care of this small detail? If not, you’re in breach of the Building Regulations which could have rather more serious consequences if the work doesn't comply!

Hello, thanks for the link. There is only a bout 1 metre to the horizontal bit so that should be ok then. LABC know all about it, just are useless so far. Would I need some sort of valve or something between the toilet and pipe?
TIA

LABC know all about it, just are useless so far. Would I need some sort of valve or something between the toilet and pipe?
TIA
So have they not inspected any aspect of your extension? Did you tell them you'd laid & connected the new foul drain & needed it inspected? It's up to them if they don’t bother but if you didn’t tell them, they may refuse to issue a completion certificate & you will never sell on without one.

Not sure what you mean about valve or something between the toilet & the pipe; no valve required but you will need a pan connector if that’s what you mean:
http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/c...an Connector?gclid=CIHe8ZjzqJYCFQLolAodySoYyQ

They come in straight or angled etc, depending on site requirements & just push onto the W/C & into the soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hello, yes they've inspected everything so far..when we said abotu the new pipes they said.."yeah do whatever..it's not a problem"...not very handy! They are due back to check the joists/insulation on ceiling next so will get them to inspect the pipes/foul drains at same time. I'm just trying to get the planning for these pipes straight in my head so I cna work out what i need to do next. and want to get the parts/bits ready to continue after they've been...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back