New Toilet on different wall to main Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on possibilities before I get someone in to quote on the job.

I have a main bathroom which has no toilet(the toilet is in a separate room next to our ensuite and ripping it out to create a bigger ensuite) and looking to install a toilet in there as it will stay the main bathroom but needs a toilet.

The issue is the main stack on the outside of the house is on the side of the house and the main bathroom is on the opposite end at the front of the house so not really near the main stack.

I have heard of Macerator toilets to solve issues like this but am not keen on one and we already have one in a dormer bathroom and not a fan of it.

So want to check what other options I have from installing a whole new outside pipework that could run into a foul drain direct or somehow connect to the existing stack.

Or somehow running the pipework internally(new toilet is only across the landing to where the existing ensuite/separate toilet are that connect to the main stack) and connecting to the main stack.

Not sure if makes a difference but the new toilet would be above our large hallway and we also have several cellars rooms as it is the floor layout of the house so not sure if an option to run the pipe internally down through the hallway into the cellar and over to the existing stack etc

I know cost wise there will be differences but more looking at what is possible to avoid having to fit a macerator and then looking at the benefit versus cost

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's hard to visualise without lengths and dimensions, but it going to be easier and cheaper to run the pipe on the outside of the house.

It's hard to visualise without lengths and dimensions, but it going to be easier and cheaper to run the pipe on the outside of the house.
Yeah the issue with that is the main bathroom is on the front of the house and the main stack on the side and quite far away from each other as a large house if you went from the outside.

From the inside it would be much close as just across the landing.

I am thinking as it is a main bathroom there will be pipes running to the main stack internally from the sink, shower and bath etc so potentially a route. Although I know the toilet pipe is bigger and has to have a certain drop.

Does it matter a what height the toilet pipe would join the outside stack as we have some large cellar rooms that the ceikings are likely above the stack and the main bathroom is above the hallway. So was thinking someway of internally routing the toilet pipe down to the cellar and across to the main stack providing the right fall is on it

As long as you comply with the backwash requirements the connection height doesn't matter and if you don't mind a bit of boxing in you may be able to get a decent angle. What you need to make sure is you can clear blockages, so minimise turns and if it makes sense use bends with access points

Sponsored Links
All down to whether you would get the fall required to ensure that the waste flows correctly if you were to try and bury it into the floor - regs specify that the max horizontal run of a soil pipe would be 6m @ 18mm/m min fall to the branch on the stack.

If you can install the soil pipe to these specs then it is doable, you will need to ensure the run is rod'able.

As a pro I try not to Use macerates they are a pain in the bum when they get blocked! Could you possibly fit a corner toilet in there close to the soil
Stack? Pics would really help !
Best wishes Jake

As a pro I try not to Use macerates they are a pain in the bum when they get blocked! Could you possibly fit a corner toilet in there close to the soil
Stack? Pics would really help !
Best wishes Jake
Yeah I don’t really want to use one but if we cannot get a toilet in thos main bathroom here then our only other option is totally moving the bathroom to another room on the right wall for the stack.

The downside of that is it will mess up all the house config really.

So have attached a photo which the main stack is about halway down on the right side wall just behind the garage. The main bathroom is currently just above the right side of the porch area on the front of the house where we woukd want the new toilet.

Attachments

• AF583ABF-33AB-4C58-8FBB-41B648C9368D.jpeg
    AF583ABF-33AB-4C58-8FBB-41B648C9368D.jpeg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the pic makes more sense ! Personally sticking a soil pipe along the outside wil not do anything positive for the look of your house ! It looks like there’s a path that goes down the side ? Concrete ?

Anyway if it was just a path my tuppenc worth would be to dig a trench lay a new soil pipe under ground connecting to the present one and put it where you want it .

Yes a pain having to dig a 45cm trench but a macerator will cost you £500 , they make a awful noise, get blocked and then you need a sparky to wire it in then you can look at installing it… I bet it will work out around the same (ish) to do the job right !

Thanks for the pic makes more sense ! Personally sticking a soil pipe along the outside wil not do anything positive for the look of your house ! It looks like there’s a path that goes down the side ? Concrete ?
Yes there is a path that goes between the garage and side of the house and it is slabs so easy to take up.

Yes there is a path that goes between the garage and side of the house and it is slabs so easy to take up.
I understand the concept of digging a trench on that side path to connect to the existing one but lost a bit on how that new soil pipe would then route to where the new toilet would be in the main bathroom?.

Cost and labour wise I am not as worried as like you say a macerator toilet would be a cost and not very good and our alternative of creating a new main bathroom in a room by the existing stack would mean all new plumbing for a bathroom so imagine all that will cost a bit so would save there

What a lovely looking house!

Please don't spoil it by putting a macerator in.
No I won’t be although the previous owners(only moved in 3 months ago) has installed a macerator in the converted doormer which I am looking to get rid of

When you have it located in the trench you then bring a soil stack up from the the ground , Yes off through the wall
OIP (5).jpeg

You don't have to take the soil pipe above the roof as long as you lol air valve on around 1.5 metres above highest water inlet
R (1).jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back