New toilet with poor flush - Metro syphon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a Wickes bathroom suite installed (supplied by myself) and the toilet has a weak flush and only seems to empty half the cistern.

The toilet is a traditional syphon, flush lever external overflow setup with a short 'Metro' syphon. The syphon has a hole in it which makes me think a blanking plug should go in it because when I cover it with my finger then it does seem to empty the whole cistern and flush properly.

What is this hole for and how can I solve the problem, it takes 2 flushes most times and the guy who installed it says "you suplied the toilet and I just fitted it".

Would a Fluidmaster flapper valve be recommended, are they any good?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Some syphons are fitted with a short flush facility using a hole in the syphon. Holding the operating lever down raises the diaphragm valve to cover the hole, giving a long flush.

Release the handle when the flush starts, and the diaphragm drops clear of the hole, so you only get a short flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back