New Twinplas guttering is leaking at join already

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, front wooden gutter/troughing/spouting was rotten in the middle and leaking so had it replaced with Twinplas by a roofer of over 20 yrs experience.

Unfortunately 24 hours later the left join is dripping. The gutter length was to be installed with 2 sleeves, sealant and 2 wall brackets as per manufacturer.

Is each gutter end meant to go inside the sleeve? So you would see the sleeve as a slightly raised area? As on the left side that's dripping it looks like there's now something 'inside' the gutter? and you can see the join from the outside.. which is where the water is slowly dripping from (not even raining at the time).

The right side doesn't look any different in the before and after pictures..? thanks in advance for any help & advice.

Twinplas-Before-After.jpg

Sponsored Links
I’m not familiar with that system but give him a call and if he is a reputable roofer he will pop back out to sort it. Sometimes when fitting gutters it’s easy to snag a rubber and we don’t realise till it rains.

Tbh I'm not sure exactly what the after pic is supposed to be showing. Perhaps roofing experts on here will be along who can advise based on your post and pics.

Hi @diy_fun_uk sorry if the pictures are not very clear. Here are some after and before where I've zoomed in.

Basically the left hand side you can see the join between the 2 sections of gutter and this is where the drip is coming from.
I thought a 'sleeve connector' should be used between 2 sections of Twinplas.
Each section slides into the hollow sleeve connector which has a rubber gasket and it's then sealed with Dow Corning 796.
But I can see a very small line on the top of the join - it looks like that could be a 'channel connector' available from Twinplas?

The right hand side, has a very small line before the join and then a raised bit - it looks like that could be a half lap connector which is for joining Twinplas and timber trough? or is it the correct sleeve connector?

My concern is that the roofer has reused the existing connectors instead of fitting the correct sleeve connectors?

Attachments

• LHS.jpg
    LHS.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 44
  • RHS.jpg
    RHS.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Twinplas-Sleeve-Channel-Half-Lap.jpg
    Twinplas-Sleeve-Channel-Half-Lap.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
I reckon all you can do, given the new installation is leaking, is ask the installer to revisit, investigate and rectify. If they're not playing ball, you could always consider getting someone else out?

Hi, the roofer has been back. Apparently the neighbour to the left had a leak on their own left join for years. As Twinplas is hollow, the water runs along the inside and comes out at the next join - ours. Common issue. They have now resealed the neighbours gutter.

I said on the left where there is a gutter section to gutter section on show I expected to see a raised sleeve connector. They put in a channel connector as it was easier, this is sealed and has acrypol painted over it. The right side they say has a sleeve connector.

Anyway.. looking at other houses I see some with 2 x sleeve connectors, others with setups like ours.. different connectors exist for a reason though? Anyone know whether we're likely to have issues with our current setup? The Twinplas site doesn't explain the usage of a channel connector. Think the wooden gutters are mainly a Lancs/Yorks thing.

Thank you all.

Those old wooden troughs were lead lined originally. I'm not familiar with that plastic stuff! but its basically relying on some mastic, which is only going to be as good as the original bond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back