New Tyres on a Budget: Which to Choose?

A 2002 tyre will have degraded by now.

Very true, but bear in mind that should it be an unused spare that is the same age as the car it will never have seen daylight, let alone the damaging UV rays from the sun.

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd come back here and give an update.

The Bridgestone Weather Control A005 tyres on the Mitsubishi have now done about 11K in all weathers but snow! They do great at low temperatures.
May see some snow soon!

We have since had a set of Michelin Cross Climates on the Honda, and recently swapped them for a set of the Bridgestones, this time the Evo model. At the time, the Michelins were dear and the Bridgestones were very cheap on offer at National Tyres.

They seem comparable with the Michelins although they are A rated for wet grip and the Michelins are B.

Again, they do well at very low temperatures, but let's see how they perform in the snow.

I'm not a fan of modern cars & still run an old 5 series BMW because of it's build quality & smooth ride rather than performance. I look for comfort & low cabin noise from a tyre (not necessarily the same as the DB rating which is a drive-by figure) but need to safely accommodate over 1500kg of metal, so tend to avoid budget brands. I'll need new rubber by next Spring & have read good reports of Goodyear & Uniroyal, the latter's higher wear rate doesn't concern me as my annual mileage is low.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If that is the in line 6 cylinder diesel I'd hang on to it.......the build quality and materials are the best I've ever seen.
They do tend to eat springs though!
John :)

If that is the in line 6 cylinder diesel I'd hang on to it.......the build quality and materials are the best I've ever seen.
They do tend to eat springs though!
Early '98 523i SE auto, 161k
24 years old & still no shell corrosion. Not the most potent of the 'sixes' but more than enough for a couple of pensioners.
'Eat springs' being a weasel I assume that's the fronts?

This car was an S reg 5 series diesel - I don't work on it but a mate reckons the front springs are regular failures. I think the rears are air but I don't know for sure.
I looked at the underside and in the engine bay - absolutely perfect, likewise the original alloys.......250k miles too!
The engine was completely rattle free and it can get 50 mpg on a run.
A thoroughly brilliant car.

Having had Landsail tyres on the front of a previous Skoda estate I would never touch them again.
they would often skip when trying to go round corners.

I have always thought of Nexen tyres as quite good. They are made in South Korea.

I do not drive massively fast and tend to buy budget tyres if buying new tyres.
But I have been buying part used premium brands on Ebay which are a good bargain usually. Of course I have to get them fitted and have had deals set up with a fitter but the last one closed their shop so I am looking for another one now.

Sponsored Links
Back